January 22, 2012

Weekend Update: Part 58

Ugh. We lost. It was close, but the Ravens lost to the Patriots in the last two minutes of the game after being very close the whole game, and even leading. It was so nerve-wracking to watch. But we made it to the conference finals, which is better than 95% of the NFL teams.sad raven

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

David’s Warehouse Sale was a lot of fun. At the last moment, I took a lot of my French Ivory cutlery, as well as some of the other old silverplate pieces I’ve unearthed from local thrift shops, including the silent butler I posted about the other day. I even had requests for more of my French Ivory pieces, especially the fun fish-eaters.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

It snowed here for the first time this season. Snow then ice over top of it, so it was a quiet weekend. I spent a lot of time reading and finally finished up Duchess: The Life of Wallis Warfield Windsor. No huge surprises, but I did learn that she “wallpapered” one room in yellow felt. I thought that sounded like it could be amazing… well, depending on the shade of yellow she used. And the old wool felts are really lovely and lush. Not like that cheap poly crap at JoAnn’s.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I did venture out and went to the Book Thing, where I picked up a stack of vintage Martha Stewart Magazines from the1990’s. When I moved to the UK, one of the things I sold was my Vol. 1, No. 1 issue of Martha Stewart Living. I love this issue with the tartan cover, and no Martha. MLS 1998

I also picked up a copy of House & Home Magazine from Canada. It’s a great magazine, and easier to find than some of the great English interiors magazines.

I can’t wait for the next snowy day to curl up with the dozens of back issues of MSL and pull out and scan all of the pieces on Victorian Silver, English Hallmarks, Caring for your China, etc.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I also took some time and made a huge batch of chicken stock. OK, I cheated and bought a roasted chicken for dinner earlier this week, but I did make the stock by hand. Chicken, water, celery, onion, peppercorns and about four hours of slow cooking. The house smelled amazing as I was cooking it. Once I finished, I let it cool, and then poured it into ice cube trays. I then put the frozen cubes into a ziplock bag for future use. I now have both veg and chicken stock on hand.

How was your weekend?

6 comments:

  1. Our weekend was belessedly relived. Staying in the city, did (most of the big (NYC) shows and kept at (mostly) firm lid on our pcketbook throughout. A success as I reckon it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg, how does Connor react to snow? Can so easily picture him sitting calmly in a silver saucer as it flies down a snow covered hill, his red scarf billowing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meg, So sorry that you lost!! Now on to next year. A snowy week-end at home sounds marvelous. Stay warm. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am quite intrigued by the felt wallcovering. You are right that most felt is for crafty stuff not like vintage thick felt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My weekend would have been a bit better had the game ended differently!

    Unbelievable.

    Still shaking my head in disbelief.

    And sneezing from my first cold of the season.

    When I put it like that my weekend sucked:)

    xo J.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.