January 12, 2012

The Answer

This is actually a Christmas present for my mother. It just took a long time to come through US Customs and so it’s a bit late. In the winter, both she and I get chapped hands, and when you’re peeling an orange or Clementine, it’s a killer!

So when I found this little ORANGE PEELER, I knew it would help make her life a little easier during the winter months. You score the skin of the orange with the pointed end, and then slide the flat side of the peeler along the orange, and slip the skin off. Oranges were a special treat in the UK, until the second half of the 20th century, so an peeler like this didn’t get a lot of use and held a special place in the silverware drawer.

7 comments:

  1. oooooo! close, but no cigar. Somebody, though DID get it right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh very nice Meg, I know she will love it. When my Mother was a little girl to get an orange even at Christmas was a huge treat!

    Xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  3. What year was it built?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I guessed correctly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon@22:01... i am guessing the 50's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to look for that....the boys eat a half box of clementines in a sitting. Kills my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had one of those when I was a kid! I never quite mastered it, was always stabbing into the flesh and mangling the oranges terribly... didn't exactly help to keep my hands clean! Neat find!
    :) Meg

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.