January 23, 2012

Kung Hei Fat Choy–Year of the Dragon

Happy Chinese Lunar New Year – the year of the Dragon! Dragons are a classic design element and you see them everywhere!

You may have noticed my new header (if you get this via e-mail, click through to the blog). It’s the famous Scalamandré print Chi’En Dragon in coral. I swapped out the cream background for the grey that I use on the blog, so it would look seamless, but here it is in coral and cream.Chi'en

There are lots of dragon fabrics that are very popular with the design crowd, the most popular being Chiang Mai Dragon by Schumacher. Funnily, it’s not one of my favourites, as I think it’s a very busy pattern. chiang mai dragonEven in a monochromatic colourway, it’s still too busy.chiang mai dragon blueOne of the dragon motifs that I love is Tail Lights, a Lilly Pulitzer print. It’s a dragon with a traditional lantern at the end of its tail. I made up some pillows with this great fabric a last year. Tail Lights

I have a certain affinity for dragons, because the symbol for Wales is the Red Dragon. You see this on everything in Wales, from flags at rugby games to the local carpet cleaning company. The red dragon has its origins in Arthurian legends, but it still endures today, with Welsh people being known as dragon-hearted. wales-welsh-flag-16-pOur local cricket club in the Vale of Glamorgan was called the Welsh Dragons.Dragons%20new

At rugby games, they play Cwm Rhondda or Bread of Heaven or the Welsh Rugby Hymn, and change the words a bit from the classic hymn to “Can you hear the valleys ringing, Can you hear the dragons roar?”Cwm Rhondda

But really, my favourite dragons are attending school in Oxford, England at the Dragon Pre-Preparatory School, following which, they attend the Dragon Preparatory School. Their motto is Strive Towards the Sun. dragon school

If I had children, I’d want them to attend this school and be little dragons.

All the very best to you in the Year of the Dragon. Kung Hei Fat Choy!

7 comments:

  1. So what exactly does being dragon hearted mean? Big heart? Firey heart? Strong heart? Love your new header!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always loved it when work took me to Durham, driving past the sign for the place called Dragonville.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your header looks amazing...so cute the name of that school!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The new header is fantastic--the coral really gets my attention. And anything chinoiserie has my name on it. Have a super day. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cartier used to have a quite fabulous red dragon note card, with envelopes lined in red. I'll see if I still have some of those and send them to you if I do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this post-grand. I am a dragon(according to Chinese)so this year is very special + put up a dragon on my blog. Thanks xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. If Jennings & Gates still has those cards you are about to be INCREDIBLY BLESSED!!!!! I would KILL for them; loved this post! REALLY interesting! While doing some cleaning/purging over the weekend I discovered a gorgeous blue & white porcelain teapot looking piece with BEAUTIFUL blue dragons all around! Don't remember WHEN or WHERE I purchased it but it was like a new gift all over again! It is now front & center on my foyer table to celebrate the Year of the Dragon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.