January 23, 2012

Flowers in the House!

On these grey winter days, there’s nothing better than fresh flowers in the house! I buy a dozen or so paper white narcissus (Narcissus papyraceus) bulbs in December and then plant them throughout the winter months. Their peppery sweet smell greets me as I walk into the house, and when the house is cool, they last for a few weeks. I took this picture on 9 January, and they’re still blooming.

For this set of bulbs, I put small pea gravel into silver-plated julep cups and put them on my windowsills. There’s just enough room, as the sills are about three inches deep. I also have some in my office and can’t wait for them to bloom.

I am adding this post to Small but Charming, a great blog about flowers and life in general.

11 comments:

  1. I love that you joined in the party! And I always love to see your photographs of home.

    Cold or no cold you just brought a big smile to my face.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so pretty. I just love paperwhites, but the neanderthal with whom I share life thinks they smell like "old metal" and doesn;t want them in the house! drat! now I have yours. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adore paperwhites Meg!! Yours are truly beautiful!

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adore paperwhites; they remind me of Dec. Jan. + their smell is heavenly. Thank you Meg. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love paperwhites, but many find their aroma too strong. Currently I have some great scented orchids in bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really adore the new header. I am assuming it is a nod to the Chinese new year of the Dragon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are beautiful. And the glorious scent...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy new year of the dragon!

    I did paperwhites for the first time this year and loved them. They're pretty much done so I'll have to buy more and space them out through the winter a little bit more.

    Flowers make winter so much more bearable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your ranunculus story is perfect.

    And set in Paris.

    This is the stuff dreams are made of.

    Love your new header.

    xo J.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We said goodbye to all our leftover paper whites at the shop. Don't know why I don't keep them going, especially through January when their clean sweet flowers remind us of Spring.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.