January 24, 2012

Bits & Pieces

A few little things that caught my eye over the last few days, not enough for a full post each, so I thought I’d add them all together.

First up… I just finished the Duchess book, so when I saw this advert at Stubbs & Wootton, I laughed aloud!StubbsYou can see the Duchess in the little boat with her pugs, and the Duke in his plus fours, with a pair of Stubbs & Wootton’s on. This particular pair has a shark’s jaw with a cornet in the center. There are a few “inside” jokes in this little watercolour: The Duke was responsible for introducing plus fours to America in 1924, in the pre-Wallis days. The Duke and Duchess also had a long history of mooching in Palm Beach, so this is particularly funny. I love the style of these little paintings!

I have worn S+W shoes for years, and they are soooo comfortable. They come in loads of fun patterns and prints and beautiful colours. Check them out here.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I received an e-mail from Liberty of London the other day with their Spring/Summer line of fabrics. Some of them were designed by Vivienne Westwood, antiques guru Martin Miller and students at Central St. Martin’s. I loved this print, taken from a library at Glencot House in Somerset England.  Here’s the library, liberty books

and here’s the print.Dr. Tulloch libraryMartin Miller, author of Miller’s Guide to Antiques, has this great dragon pattern taken from the Liberty archives, with additions from his collections.dragonistaTo watch a film about the new collection, click here. But beware, there’s a lot of background noise and the narrator’s hard to understand at times.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I have two bathrooms at the new house (when does it stop being new?) and the ground floor one is very plain. I have my bike and the hoover hiding in the shower, and a lovely linen shower curtain. I also have some curtains in Schumacher’s Fireworks print in a great mandarin colour. Schumacher Fireworks in Mandarin[2]I had planned to paper the walls with the Turgot Plan de Paris, but it was too hard to match up and when I had a small leak after Hurricane Irene, the ink bled.

When I found some old French novels at Book Thing a few months ago, I had a thought of papering the loo walls with their pages. It took until this week to finally start this project, and it’s turning out rather well. I am applying the pages to the wall with ModPodge, and just painting the wall with it, and not painting over the pages. If and when I decide to change the décor, all I will need to do is wash down the walls to loosen the adhesive. The book is Le Mannequin D’Osier, or the wicker-work woman. It was published in 1897 and the volume I have is the 25th edition.  Here’s a brief summary of the book, translated from the original French. It’s quite a well-known book in France and there’s even a 1980’s movie of the same name. It seems to be about a professor whose wife has an affair with one of his students. I think.It’s always fun to see what people do with small bathrooms where there’s lots of room for creativity in a small space.

13 comments:

  1. The wallpaper idea looks great, especially because of the "yellowed" pages; so many of my books are like that - a result of the humidity, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love the illustration!! Then the fabrics, wow, the book inspired is amazing!

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Book pages look great as wallpaper and I love the subtle reminder that at least in your house there's no lack of reading material in the loo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to have a silk scarf in that book fabric!

    After a moment of skepticism, I love the book page walls. I was thinking how you could also possibly use watercolor pencil in the same color as your shower curtain as highlighter on some passages of the pages to create more pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful walls. I am glad you have an out for when thet look worn--or more worn-- haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude, after all the poking fun at OKL on this site for their overpriced wares, and you recommend a store where a pair of plain little slippers cost FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS?!?!?!

    I'm gobsmacked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Marcheline... these are handmade! And custom! Not something you can pick up in an old barn for pennies! Haha!

    wv: disses, i.e. marcheline totally disses me today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wallpapered with book pages. YES! Love S&W myself. thank you. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! You are SUCH an amazing gal!!! And that peek at the linen shower curtain proved you were dead on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey (posting at work, thus the anonymous), those plain slippers would have to be hand-stitched by angels, using the silver tail-hairs of the last unicorn, and dyed with the tears of dolphins in order to be worth four hundred smackeroonies.

    And you know I love you, no serious dissing here!

    - Marcheline

    ReplyDelete
  11. Must be fun sitting in your loo and reading the wallpaper. Guess they are in French but one can always make out enough to get the picture, right??? Thank you for your great posts. Loved the dragons. Do you know if Schhumacher still has the dragon fabric you used for your pillows?
    else in wmsb

    ReplyDelete
  12. Else... it's one of Schumacher's most popular prints. I think that there's a link on the post about the chair.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It all makes me want to sing "When the shark bites"
    lovely, witty, clever and fun.
    pve

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.