January 15, 2010

The Reveal!

At an intersection in Baltimore, three of the four corners hold treasures. On the northwest is the historic house museum, Mount Clare. 11-15 009On the southwest corner is the art-deco inspired, former Montgomery Ward distribution center, now reworked as a LEED-certified space, including a green roof, called Montgomery Park. Debois Textiles 070 On the northeast corner, there’s a gas station and on the southeast corner is a non-descript warehouse of more than 65,000 square feet holding DeBois Textiles.

Debois started out more than 50 years ago in the secondary textile trade, meaning that they buy used clothes from a variety of sources, sort and grade it, bale it and then re-sell it on the world market, either for use as clothing, rags or stuffing. Debois Textiles 012 Over the years, they’ve started selling vintage clothes and fabric remnants and bolts. They buy mill ends and bolts from some of the most prestigious fabric houses in the country, including Schumacher, Ralph Lauren, Scalamandre, and others, and sell it at very reasonable prices to the public. Debois Textiles 060Two of their long-time employees sort the fabrics and fold it into yardage. These gals have some muscles from hefting around these fabrics!Debois Textiles 006

I went back to DeBois today to have another look around and chat with the owners. I met up with fellow blogger, Michele from My Notting Hill, and took along my friend, Kit (not Cat). As I wandered through about half of the 65,000 square feet, I was constantly gasping at what I saw! Names I know well were jumping out at me – Trina Turk, Barbara Barry, Imperial Trellis, Indochine – and I could barely contain my excitement!Debois Textiles 004

My friend Christopher, with whom I had made the initial visit, warned me not to go poking though the huge drum of bolts that he’d picked out from the inventory of a high-end designer who’d recently gone out of business. Of course, I had to check out what he’d picked!

Here is some of what I saw today.

Michele and I agreed that our blog friend, Chinoiserie Chic would go nuts for this pale turquoise and hot pink Chinese-style toile. Debois Textiles 008 Loved this Barbara Barry print… subtle and understated.Debois Textiles 009 It’s so interesting to see how many colours are used in each print. Each has to be lined up exactly to make sure the pattern matches and the print is perfect. Debois Textiles 011 I just flipped when I saw this gorgeous Trina Turk print from Schumacher.Debois Textiles 052

Debois Textiles 053 Debois Textiles 054

Here’s another Trina Turk that I liked, and then saw it on a chair on her website.





Debois Textiles 061
Trina Turk

Here are two of the fabrics that Michele of My Notting Hill bought. I can’t wait to see what clever thing she does with them! Debois Textiles 042

She also purchased this gorgeous silk and wool damask in a gold, grey and beige. This picture does not do justice to the fabric and you certainly can’t tell how lush it felt!Debois Textiles 037 The owner of DeBois told me that they’ve just gotten in a limited number of bolts of Thibault toiles, including these in a range of colour ways. All are less than $10/yard!



Debois Textiles 016
Debois Textiles 017
Debois Textiles 018

Debois Textiles 031

DeBois Textiles is located just off I-95 in South Baltimore at 1835 Washington Boulevard. The phone is 410-837-8081 and the hours are Monday to Saturday, 10a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

32 comments:

  1. I LOVE fabrics and can spend all day in the various showrooms at the ADAC. I am just drooling with envy of what you got to see. Did you make any good purchases?
    Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow how fun! I wish I was crafty!

    Still over here going thru boxes of books. I'm swamped!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm so glad I don't live too far away. This is going on my "to do" list! Thanks so much for sharing!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am DYING! i want to go there right this very instant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mother lode to a Textile Whore like myself...terrific post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just transport me across the country!!! I am so inspired by fabrics colors and patterns in my works of art! Plus for furniture, pillows, window treatments etc. of coarse!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have to drag a tank of oxygen with me Meg to get me through the excitement that DeBois would offer. Just to lay eyes on the Trina Turk fabric caused me to hyperventilate.
    My imagination starts to run a muck. Thanks for the fabric thrill Meg, only wish I were there. xx deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the reveal or shall I say torture! Unbelievable finds...great way to spend an afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meg - That was so much fun - a huge thank you to you. You were right - my daughter loves the pink/white dots and plans to use it in her room with the stripe as small accents - yeah.

    Baltimore should recognize you as a Cultural/Business Ambassador! And, finally...GO RAVENS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay that settles it --- on my next visit to my daughter in DC, i shall drive rather fly in order to visit this fabric heaven!!!! And, your snowman header brought a smile to my face --- so far 2010 has been stressful -- I am looking ahead to better days. Thanks Meg.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am dying!!! You do know that MOST people would never divulge this source!!!! you are so sweet to do so. If I lived there I'd be there right now!!!! omg. omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ROAD TRIP! And so much closer than Thurmont. Time to feed the textile addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  13. PS, Meg I love the snowman header!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, my. I'm sorry Ilive on the other side of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Meg, Thanks for sharing this ! I live in Greenspring Valley...we NEED to meet. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  16. okay-- next time you go somewhere like that -- I have no access to such things -- I need about 20 yards of a fabulous blue and white print to redo the cushions on my rattan couches and chairs -- I'll give you my cc number!! Please!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am in fabric heaven. May have to do a Thelma & Louise to get there!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh. My.
    Loved this post, and wow...it's so good to know that I have so many companions in my little fabric "problem".

    ReplyDelete
  19. the snowman header is cheery indeed and the fabrics - my jaw is dropping - if miss is goes to school in baltimore you can bet I will stop by this place - wish i were closer

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Miss Meggie: This probably will be a long shot for you to find in such a large warehouse, but see the orange-toned fabric one of the women is holding in her hands? That's the exact fabric on my dining room chairs & on the comforter on my oak bed. If there is ANY possibility of you scooping up all of that fabric on your next trip, I'll be more than appreciative, and of course, I'll pay you for every bit of it. I'd like to make curtains to match the bedspread, but the fabric is hard to find b/c it's been out of print for so many years. I wish I had time today to get in my car & come up there -- I would in a flash!

    -- M.A.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mont Clare is one of the contenders for the Spring house tours...it has just moved to the top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  22. drooling... oh i love love these trina turk, i had them on my blog not that long ago, beautiful :) thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh wow! What a find! (and thanks for sharing!) If anyone knows of such a fabulous place in Califormia, please share... I'm bookmarking this for Baltimore, but I'd love to have one here!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wheeww! I think you just guaranteed them a long and prosperous life regardless of the state of the economy. Good looking stuff, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wheeww! I think you just guaranteed them a long and prosperous life regardless of the state of the economy. Good looking stuff, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fantastic post Meg -really enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing!
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  27. I want to go!! what a great place! xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. WHERE IS THIS? I live in Miami, FL... Have to go there... agh... I'm loosing it. What beautiful fabrics, so many that I've been searching for.

    ReplyDelete
  29. As Annie Pazoo said 'ROAD TRIP" for sure. My daughter lives in D.C. so this will be ea.....sy. yow, can't WAIT.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.