November 15, 2011

OKL: Are You SERIOUS?

At the total risk of belabouring a point,  is OLK serious? Seriously OKLTen random books, covered with copies of old maps. OKL total – $379, reduced from the original $580. My total – $3.76. That would be ten free books from the Book Thing and about $3.76 worth of copying some old maps I have at the house. Ohhh, maybe add about $10 worth of my time for cutting and wrapping the books. Seriously!Seriously OKL2Four 1900’s vintage wood tennis racquets. OKL – originally $480, now down to $279. My price – $20.  Four racquets from the Goodwill @ $5.00 each. And they don’t even need to be restrung.

We used to have a big trash can at our house growing up and it was filled with things like wooden lacrosse sticks handed down from cousins, old wooden tennis racquets with the wooden presses, also handed down, and a polo mallet or two, from gawd only knows where. I should have saved all of that stuff to sell to fund my old age!

It’s getting so I can barely read the OKL Tastemaker Tag sales because some of the prices are so insane. To be fair though, Nina Griscom did have some lovely and very well-priced items on the OKL sale this evening.

11 comments:

  1. Very funny - I love your OKL posts. There really are some stupid prices. Most things on "sale" are so far outside anything that I would pay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I unregistered - their prices are ridiculous. My grandmother used to say some people have more money than sense, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please keep posting these, Meg! I love to see what you find on that site.
    I have bought many things on OKL that I know to have been good deals and that I still love but I am constantly amazed by some of the prices and what sells--and how fast.
    Thanks as always for Pigtown Design!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be a bit more positive!
    1 - their ideas are free - so good for you if they inspire you to have a good time making those wrapped books yourself!
    2 - it is on sale for a reason... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Meg, I checked out OKL last night, also. There was a very dilapidated and rusted "industrial" metal shelving unit--just what I need to remind me to keep current on my tetanus shots. There were also several used waste baskets...Pleeeeeeeese. Thanks for the fun. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. No doubt OKL has some off the wall items and prices but one man's junk is another man's treasure. I doubt you will find antique tennis racquets at Goodwill... they won't even accept 15 yr old TVs. I'm not defending their price but if someone wanted 4 antique racquets (with antique presses) immediately (say as a prop for a production or for temporary decorating purposes) they may be willing to pay that. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Four rampages against OKL in November is overkill... but then again no one makes me read your blog so who am I to complain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to research how I can become one of the featured "sales" on OKL. I have a house and a storage shed filled with things I need to sell. :-) It's a great showcase and it does have us all talking about it. The prices are truly outrageous. But maybe it fills a need for people who only want to shop online instead of hitting the thrift stores. My guess is most of the buyers wouldn't put a toe inside a Goodwill or thrift store.

    But keep up the comments, Meg. I need to know it's not just me that is surprised about the sales there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even in this economy, there are still people out there with money to burn. Only for that reason does this entity stay in business. Smart folks like us know better. Keep up the good work, Meg.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These continue to be fascinating, perhaps because I am intermittently researching for a future post on these 'flash sale' sites. It's rapidly becoming an industry prompting skepticism on my part. :)
    tp

    ReplyDelete
  10. They need to change the name of their store to SLRP. Stuff for Lazy Rich People.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.