October 11, 2011

Some Things for Mid-Week

I love this time of year for the crisp crunchy apples that are at the farmers’ market every weekend. And my favourite breakfast thing to do is make apple crisp. Since I am a quick-type cook, I cheat a little bit with my recipe. crisp 001 Yes, I love the steel-cut McCann’s Irish Oats, but they take too long to cook in this recipe and have a raw sort of taste to them. So, I cheat and eliminate a couple of steps by using quick cook packets of flavoured oatmeal, like Quaker Oats Maple or Cinnamon. I just cut in a little butter to bind it, chop some apples (after I’ve peeled them with my new handy-dandy peeler from Williams-Sonoma!) and pop this into the oven for 40 minutes. peelerBy the time I’ve walked Connor, it’s piping hot and is a great start to the day. crisp 002 I put the leftovers in the fridge and then microwave them the next day.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I just finished Sam Irvin’s 2010 biography of Kay Thompson, who is best known for her books, Eloise. 96knightShe’s a fascinating character in so many ways, and did so much in her life…

She went to school with Tennessee Williams, auditioned for Henry Ford, got her first big break from Bing Crosby, trained Marilyn Monroe, channeled Elvis Presley, rejected Andy Warhol, rebuffed Federico Fellini, got fired by Howard Hughes, and snubbed Donald Trump.

Kay Thompson is also known as the editor in the 1950’s movie, Funny Face, with Fred Astaire and Audrey Hepburn. She’s the one who exhorts everyone to Think Pink!Think Pink Kay ThompsonHer character is based on Diana Vreeland, with whom she did some work at Bazaar Magazine. The character’s name was originally Dana Prescott, but Vreeland asked her to change it, so she’s Maggie Prescott. You can read a great review of the movie over at Tom & Lorenzo, here. And here’s a video of Think Pink.

First person who wants the book, gets it! E-mail or comment.

10 comments:

  1. So inspired and lovely!! I do prints, canvas, greeting cards and posters about fashion, you´r invited to see my work :)

    By the way love your blog and follow you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooops, I think Kevin won. I love "Eloise"--one of my favorites from childhood--I always wished I could be that daring......The recipe sounds great, I'm going to have to go with plain instant oats plus my own cinnamon as I can't do that much sugar. But what a fantastic way to start the day!! Thanks. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I love her best for snubbing Trump.

    HA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grand apple receipe + just adore Eloise. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. would love a copy of this book if you ever see it again at the book thing -please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to see Danny Kaye's impression of her! Thanks for the book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Kay Thompson book got such mixed reviews. But if you liked it, I'll give it a second look.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's brilliant! I've never seen that before.
    Sorry haven't stopped by in a while, now trying to play catch-up :-)
    Di
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Made a variation today for after school snack. Added dried cranberries. Got a small portion for my dinner after boys ate 3/4 of it before soccer practice!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.