January 18, 2010

I am a Material Girl!

Oh, it’s just so sad. In the week since I discovered DeBois Textiles, I’ve been over there five times! Every time I visit, I find more and more new and spectacular textiles. I’ve always loved fabrics, but now I’ve tipped over the edge into a full-fledged Material Girl.material girl I got a message from one of my best friends this afternoon freaking out because one of the women working at DeBois was actually holding the fabric that she’s been searching for ever since she bought some in North Carolina a few years ago. She begged and pleaded with me to go back over to the warehouse and see if I could find the bolt of fabric and buy it all for her. Which I did… because I love her and she’s a great friend!

01-18 031Of course, while I was looking for her fabric, I had to take more pictures to show you. 01-18 011This is a gorgeous black chintz with blousy tulips under license from the Botanic Gardens at Kew.

01-18 013



01-18 015

This is Trina Turk’s “Sunglasses” print. They have this in a few different colourways.






01-18 028
01-18 027

I am very drawn to some of the geometrics.

01-18 025 01-18 019

Lest you think that I just go and gawk at these gorgeous fabrics and textiles, I actually bought a few yards of the Trina Turk and whipped up a duvet cover. A friend from Wales is coming to stay at the end of the week, and I thought it would be nice to spruce up the guest room for him… Not that he’ll notice!01-18 007Believe me, Connor’s not too happy by his mum’s newest addiction, especially since it’s less than a mile from the house and I can just pop over to check out the goodies!01-18 001If you’ve made the trip to DeBois – and I know that some of you have – leave a comment or send me an e-mail! I’d love to know what you got!

****** Several people have asked whether DeBois has an on-line presence for the fabrics. When I asked about this, they told me that they can't sell the fabrics on-line because of their agreements with the fabric houses. Other people have asked me to buy for them, but I just can't get in to that. It's just too fraught with issues. Sorry.******

17 comments:

  1. Meg, you are a wonder. Not only do you discover these magical places like an intrepid explorer, but you sew, too?? My tailor father is turning in his grave because his daughter can barely manage to sew on a button!

    Will get to Debois sooner or later, just so I can report back to fabric-loving friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be so creative, I'm so jealous! It's all I can do to sew a button on something!

    I'm hoping to go sometime this week...I'll keep you posted!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! More amazing finds. I'm dying over here in far-away NY!!!

    I'm actually planning a trip out there in a couple of weeks. I need to see this in person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seething with good-natured envy. And you can sew! The room looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got this nice e-mail from a reader:

    I believe I was the first in the door Saturday morning.

    I got two gorgeous Italian-looking fabrics, a damask and an exquisite woven. Both were from the designer in Alexandria that had gone out of business. I had to get a discontinued Brunschwig and Fils chintz that I had used in my daughter's bedroom many years ago and a Cowtan and Tout botanical that I had always loved. At that price, it's okay if I just look at them and smile. I also got fabrics for backing 2 needlepoint pillows.

    What a find ! And I have you to thank. I will be back..... just another material girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. jealous of your pretty new duvet! :-) and i swear, if your blog was nothing but pictures of connor, i would still be happy to visit everyday. he is one handsome young man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I were just a bit closer I would be going wild! I spend hours on the internet looking at fabric--how unproductive is that? Meg, you could start the DeBois Online Store! Seriously! With the quantities that they deal with, it's no wonder that they don't sell online. Too bad for me. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the duvet! So are you taking orders Meg? Making us beg or what:) Do you want the $ up front!?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meg the duvet looks fabulous!!!! It's like a suzani ---so cute!! I wish I lived there so badly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Meg, do we need to stage an intervention????

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wendi...it's all your fault. if i wasn't driving you home, i wouldn't have been stopped at the light. i wouldn't have seen someone walk in the store and i wouldn't have pulled in and parked. it's all to you that i am now a hopeless addict.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I need that white, gray, and green geometric patterned fabric. Do you know what it's called?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found this post by way of High Heeled Foot in the door. I'm fairly local and I am nearly bouncing out of my seat with excitement. I will be there soon, no doubt. Thanks for sharing! Now off to read the rest of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a heavy burden to know that I'm responsible for your addiction. Which is why I feel I must be part of the intervention. Which must take place on site...is Saturday good for you?

    ReplyDelete
  15. i echo "and you sew too" beautiful and speedy work on the duvet - i am impressed - not too many times you can smile at addict/intervention talk but i did. debois will make a good trip some day

    ReplyDelete
  16. you are the luckiest person. ever. the book thing and now this. i am so envious. it's fantastic. it must be like a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm trying to figure out when I'm headed up there next so I can stop by. I love that Trina Turk fabric. It's fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.