July 11, 2010

Auction Fever!

After attending the auction yesterday, I remembered how much I like going to them.  There’s always some treasure to be found!  I used to attend auctions down in Southern Maryland and in the suburbs outside of Baltimore before I moved to Wales and was doing a lot of buying and selling in my capacity as one of the founders of Second Chance, an architectural salvage company.

Yesterday’s auction yielded a lot of what I had hoped for – fabulous fabrics. auction 005 There were about 10 box lots of fabrics from an old estate where the family had been bankers in Hong Kong before moving back to Washington, DC. There were Thai silks, Indian Saris, Honk Kong textiles, all folded, sorted and marked. Many of the pieces still had their original shop tags on them, some had their Hong Kong manufacturer woven into the selvage,auction 008  and one piece had a folded slip of paper from the Office of Commodity Standards in Bangkok. auction 011It took until this evening to really have a chance to look through the boxes of silks and inspect what I’d gotten for my three bids, the average price of which was $5.00!  There were fabulous raw silks in pale straw colours, beautiful paisley patterned silks,auction 009 plain silks in every jewel colour you could imagine and plaids of the most wild variety.auction 012 Many thanks to I Love Lime Green for her super work as the auctioneer and to Mandy who writes the blog, AngloFiles, for having me to lunch as the very last minute!

10 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see what you do with it all...don't you love the colours in the thai silks?...keep them out of the sun though, they fade in an instant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have beautiful remnants from an estate sale of a decorator purchased back in 1998. Scalamandre, raw silks, some several yards long. I've done all kinds of things with them. Post pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, CJ! I know that you know about that, living where you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. EE...I'd love to see what you've done with your pieces. Some of these are a few yards, others are pretty small.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They all look familar! Thai silk is really very special. Glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. EXQUISITE!!!! Such beautiful things!!! Sounds like it was such a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read your auction post at 11 am Sat, too late to run up to Chevy Chase (without my husband...he tends to inhibit my bidding). Looks like you did well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the only reason why I love auctions!!! These are the pretty cool stuff and you may found more better stuff in penny auctions too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can spot at least 3 potential shirts and/or pocket squares I'd love for myself

    Well done,

    B

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.