October 26, 2012

High Point: The Details

As I mentioned, some of the details on the Hooker Furniture pieces were really incredible and thoughtful. Their designers have really taken a lot of time to make sure each detail is meaningful to the piece and their work really shows.

Let’s take a look.

This is from the Sanctuary collection, and from this angle, you can see that the piece has a lot of detail, but it’s not until you see it close up that you realize that there’s egg and dart trim that’s been gilded, antiqued mirror and beautiful pulls on the piece.

The bevel on this mirror makes it special. It’s one thing to bevel a square or round mirror, but it takes a craftsman to bevel a mirror with this many curves and angles.

This little trefoil table looks like it has a great faux finish, but when you get close, it’s actually crushed capiz shells in resin which gives it both depth and shimmer.

What isn’t immediately apparent on this red croc and nailhead console,

is that the piece is covered with embossed croc-patterned leather.

My favourite detail on this side table is the shape of the legs.And also that the table is covered in capiz shells!

One of Hooker’s designers was in New York and spotted this tie, and decided to make a dresser with the same pattern!This harkens back to the menswear that’s being used in furniture design this season.

Many of the dressers and chests have drawers lined with fun papers proving that it’s the attention to details that makes the piece even more special.

Hooker’s Alicante collection has incredible details that evoke old European houses and castles. This tiny church in rural Herefordshire, England has hinges that are very similar – as did the dungeons-turned-bathrooms in St. Donat’s castle where I worked. kilpeck[9]

Also from the Alicante collection, this table shows the detailed inlay of the two woods as well as the oversized nail-heads.

I love the elegance of this chest – the shape, the wood and the pulls are all stunning.

This chest with the different woods and the star-shaped pulls really caught my eye.

I thought this was one of the most elegant and well-done table tops I saw a this year’s Market. And the book-matched wood and the inlaid compass rose really make this piece a stand-out. It’s attention to detail like this that will make this an heirloom piece.

Again, well done to Hooker Furniture for a really outstanding collection for this year’s market. And thank you so much for being my sponsor. I am honoured to be associated with your company!

10 comments:

  1. I wanna hit the lottery and re-do my entire house! That red embossed croc table is off the hook!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meg, This is an impressive collection. I am assuming that all of the pieces were made in the USA? Buy American has been my goal since the first imported cars hit our shores. Thanks. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stunning furniture + will send this to a client right now. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg, thanks for sharing all these photos for those of us who can't get there. I really appreciate it!!!!!

    xo Terri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri... there's so much goodness at High Point, and so much talent, it's sometimes hard to wrap your head around it!

      Delete
  5. Wow. Exceptionally beautiful craftsmanship. Nice blog work. I came across your blog while “blog surfing” using the Next Blog button on the Nav Bar located at the top of my blogger.com site. I frequently just travel around looking for other blogs which exist on the Internet, and the various, creative ways in which people express themselves. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you're from down close to High Point. I actually stay in Greensboro!

      Delete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.