October 14, 2012

High Point: Day 1

I took all day Saturday to drive to High Point, but after a late start and some bad traffic, I was behind schedule before I even got out of town. I took a back road down to High Point, through Charlottesville, Lynchburg and Danville, where I spent the night. I was so tired and couldn’t face the final two hours in the dark.

Once I arrived in High Point, it was off and running. I started at Hickory Chair with a tour of the showrooms. HP1 (1)There was a gathering for the social media types featuring Alexa Hampton, Mariette Himes Gomez, and Hable Construction.

Alexa’s rooms were chic and elegant. The colour scheme was red, white and black.

HP1 (25) HP1 (26)
I met Alexa a few years ago at her book signing at John Rosselli and she’s just charming. HP1 (23)

And so talented. HP1 (24)

Mariette Hines Gomez talked to the group about her newest collection, HP1 (13)which included this glamorous 30’s style silk sofa with this incredible detail on the reverse. HP1 (12)

The Hable girls talked to the group about their design process, and their walls had wonderful inspiration boards. HP1 (28)

Their prints have a great organic feel to them – especially the marbleized print. HP1 (29)

From Hickory, we wandered over to Design Legacy for Heather Clawson’s book signing. HP1 (42)They had some really fun items, combining architectural salvage and imported items. HP1 (46)

I had to laugh at this Barcelona Chair in a patchwork orange fabric. HP1 (49)

Finally, late in the day, I ended up at Van Thiel & Co. and their unusual and varied collection of items. HP1 (55)There were such great colours and they had taken great care to have an exquisite showroom. HP1 (57)Everywhere you looked, there was some intriguing piece – like this set of animals from the Chinese years. HP1 (53)Speaking of China… look at this wall of china.HP1 (52)Monday is the breakfast with Christian Siriano, Thom Felicia and Lela Rose. Plus a lot more! Stay tuned.

5 comments:

  1. I absolutely love those red doors outside Design Legacy. I wish I could get a closer look at them.
    --Road to Parnassus

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much I love Meg; the Hable design inspiration boards and that fabulous marbleized fabric!!The pottery in greens, I hope Heather is having a successful book signing!!Oh of course those red doors!

    Xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Clean your house, people. It costs nothing." Nate Berkus MarketDesign

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the bench with the flaring back! And finally - a sofa that has earned the right to be placed in the center of a large room (with a delicate sofa table behind, perhaps)!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.