June 21, 2009

New @ Housewerks

I stopped by to see friends Ben & Tracey who are the owners of Housewerks, a local salvage company. I've written about Housewerks several times, but their inventory changes weekly and there's always something amazing and new to see. Today, it was Tracey's new baby boy, whom I'd not yet met!
Tracey dragged me out to the back to see an incredible treasure they'd just acquired... I know Tracey has always loved art glass, especially the glorious colours of Blenko glass, made in nearby West Virginia. But this glass came from a much closer source, Carr-Lowrey glass company, which is just around the corner from Housewerks. Housewerks has barrels of this glass, all separated by colour, of which there is a staggering array. The combinations of colours and swirls almost look like candy, or in the photo above, coffee with cream. Some of the pieces weigh several pounds and could be used in myriad ways.
Housewerks has also just gotten in some great vintage advertising signs, including ones for "chick n'ribs", trucks, liquor and ice cream. Sounds like dinner to me! They also have a selection of old carnival signs, including this one for the freak show. These canvas posters are massive and could be used in a double-height family room.There was the most extraordinary mirror that had just been removed from a local bar that was being renovated. It measures about 7' high by 10' wide. The detail work is really fascinating. I can always count on seeing a range of metal items, including railings,garden urns and benches,decorative cast iron arches,washbasin stands, and fountains.Housewerks and Second Chance, a salvage company which I helped found in 2000, were featured in Renovation Style Magazine's Spring 2009 issue. Unfortunately, the magazine's not on-line at all, except for subscription information.

22 comments:

  1. Salvage yards have always been my design achilles & ironically when others are bringing home t-shirts from their travels, Im the one with castaways froma new yard. Yup I go on vacations. Its a great way to find real mementos.
    Thanks for the introduction. Im adding the to my Baltimore list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg-I would love to come check it out. That mirror is stunning and I love antique garden items.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That mirror wants to come home with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. salvage yards are as close to a treasure hunt as we can get.
    i love the images, and wish i could personally dig through this place myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mirror is yummy! This looks like a wonderful way to spend the day with a fat checkbook and empty truck. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to go there. I'm on a big salvage hunt for the right beveled glass window.

    That mirror and the fountains. Too wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathleen & Beth... I should organize an excursion to Housewerks, 2nd Chance and the Book Thing!

    And Kathleen, they had some great plain beveled glass windows. I will check and see if I got a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I LOVE housewerks' inventory here... very very cool

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meg, very cool glass and I love that unique mirror. A great reminder to get down to Architectural Salvage here in Kansas City.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you helped found them?! I'm so impressed! I love salvage yards(as per my recent post!) Renovation Style is a really good mag. My subscription has run out, so thanks for the reminder!
    joan

    ReplyDelete
  11. I havne't been up in far too long to see the bookthing and also housing works - a visit is in order! I spy an amazing looking terra cotta fireplace beside that mirror that I want to see in person!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that mirror, great place to get lost in...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would so love to go there, looks like a place to my own heart's desire...
    Well, maybe one day I'll make it there.
    Lovely picks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LUV!! the carnival sign. that's a real treasure- Now I must look for a ?wealty barber-hair doer- with a large shop or parlor? Or someone? that is terrific. I adore these types of places to go to. la

    ReplyDelete
  15. Meg,
    How fabuluos!! I wish I lived closer. I adore the mirror and the canvas is so cool! I love adding architectural elements to houses that have very little detail work, it gives the rooms personality. How lucky for you to be able to go!
    xx-Gina

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been looking for a good local/regional source for old urns for months and months. I'm definitely going to check this out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What fun! That mirror is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a cool business! it kind of reminds me of Bountiful, here in Venice, CA.
    xox
    www.froufroufashionista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fabulous resource. Are those some of the stores we saw on my personally guided tour? Hope all is well with you and you're having a fantastic summer.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loooove the Liquor sign! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.