June 1, 2009

Letterheads

Before I went to the party yesterday, I stopped to drop off a bag of books at Book Thing and I also picked some up. Among my finds was a book called Letterheads. I can't quite figure out what this book is, because the first section is in Japanese. Since I don't read it, I can't tell what it says.
The letterheads featured in the book date from 1850 to 1950 and are mainly American in origin. The book is divided into chapters, including the one entitled "To Whom It May Concern", which is in Japanese! Other chapters are Comestibles, Beverages, Printing, Clothing and Stores and Pharmaceutcials.
I love Book Thing because I never, ever know what I will find!

7 comments:

  1. How interesting , a snapshot of different eras!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool book. I love Book Thing, the people watching there is almost as fun as the book hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great imagery...I have a thing for paper! I love all kings of notecards, stationary, magazine covers, type sets, etc;......
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wonder what happened to the illustrators... You never seem to hear much about their lives or interests or how they got started.

    Second image from top reminds me of Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are -- loved that book as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soodie... I like the last one for the soap company with the bubbles in their logo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me, too. The soap-disinfectant label is great, and the bubble in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the designs. A fragment of Japanese society is crazy nuts over American kitcsh so this book doesn't surprise me at all. One of my part timers was a Japanese exchange student & she explained they just think "its cool."

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.