June 29, 2009

More Alice

"What is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or conversations?"
The other day, I wrote about the upcoming film of Alice in Wonderland with Tim Burton directing. Yesterday, as I was scouring the books Coterie had brought to Baltimore to donate to the Book Thing, I found a book which just called out to me. It's called A Book of Books, by Abelardo Morell. It is mainly the photographs of Mr. Morell with various quotations about books as a counterpoint to the images.
Amongst the pages were three photo illustrations featuring the work of Sir John Tenniel, who provided the quintessential illustrations for Alice in Wonderland. Morell has taken these illustrations and combined them with some books and other props to make a three-dimensional image.
Pretty clever, no?

14 comments:

  1. Yes, very clever. Thanks, Meg.
    And may I say that I am totally jealous of your access to so many interesting FREE books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a feast. Could you say again how the Book Thing got started? What an IDEA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can pick through my books anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HBD... I wrote last summer explaining how the Book Thing Works and what the premise it. Click here.

    It was founded by a bartender who had a lot of teachers who came in and talked about how few books their kids had. So he started collecting tip money and buying books from Goodwill, etc. Then people started dropping off books for him.

    Eventually, he started a non-profit so people could make donations. He's gotten a couple of big grants that help support the work.

    The Book Thing is one of the many things that make Baltimore such an interesting place to live!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A... Thanks so much! I am enjoying them tremendously!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a dreamy, creative take on a book discussing books - great find!

    ReplyDelete
  7. don't you kind of think this incarnation is just going to take it to an other level? I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the backstory. So new to this blog thing, but so enjoyed the history of The Book Thing. I think the whole project is worthy of the "genius grant."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love a tatoo of the Tenniel Mad Hatter some day...Can't deside where...Would likely need the insight of several margaritas first...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.