June 28, 2009

David Hicks at Book Thing

Guess who I ran into at Book Thing this morning? David Hicks! He was sitting on one of the top shelves mingling with hoi polloi in the Hobbies section. I am sure he would have been mortified to have been there, rather than in the Gardening & Horticulture section which is just adjacent to the Design & Decorating section. He was partially hidden inside a copy of his Book of Flower Arranging, so it was a good thing I spotted him. He will join several of his siblings, now sitting on my shelves.

Actually, today was a special day at Book Thing. My Sunday morning buddy, Julie, my friend the Redhead, and I were joined by the authoress of Coterie blog and her beau. They met us for a couple of laps at the farmers' market (strawberries, raspberries and fresh cream) and then joined us for breakfast at local favourite Cafe Hon.
After a delicious breakfast, we headed over to Book Thing, but first, we had to scour the contents of Coterie's car trunk. You see, she used to work for a NY publisher and had brought bags and bags of books down to Baltimore to donate to Book Thing. She was exceedingly kind and let us grab what we wanted before she made her donation. Some will eventually make their way to BT, but some others are keepers.

13 comments:

  1. I understand you exactly.

    Do you often take David Hicks to bed?

    Have you taken Graham Stuart Thomas to bed?

    Discovering more about George Washington, John Adams & Thomas Jefferson in bed is a thrill.

    And dearest Claud. Monet of course.

    Sir Roy Strong & Monty Don are my most favorite to take to bed.

    Reading these men in bed, to use Elizabeth Lawrence, Is one of my chief treasures.

    Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely scored with David Hicks. Next time I come down I am bringing more books and you can have 1st dibs again :-)

    So great to finally meet you!

    xoxo

    a.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A... so great to finally meet you, too! Sorry the O's didn't pull in a win for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a perfect day, all around. I still have not driven up to check out Book Thing, yet. And I miss the Balto. farmer's market. Is the mushroom man/bridge painter still there? Grilled portobellos for b-fast. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look like some awesome treasures...good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meg- Funny enough, I found my copy of that very same DH book at a used bookstore in San Fran. It was on the clearance table for $2. I think DH would now be doubly embarrassed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peak... that's so sad! But lucky for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cut out the middle man -- the recipe for success. I imagine a most delightful day and am glad that you made the most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apparently the most amazing people--and books--hang out at Book Thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I wish we had a Book Thing here in KC. Treasures indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.