June 16, 2009

More NYC Pictures

As I mentioned last week in my post about Pearl River Mart, we really only had about five hours in NYC, less the time spent eating lunch and eating dinner. Since my friend Julie is the foodie, she picked the place to eat lunch, which put us in the Chinatown/Soho neighbourhood. It was a beautiful day, and this image just seemed to show a quintessential downtown NYC view.
We spent the most time in Kam Man, a huge Chinese food/department store, walking along Canal Street, heading up Broadway to Muji and Pearl River and then hunting for a great bistro for a quick supper.

Here are some more pictures from our brief adventure.

A cheeky monkey looking over the edge of a dish.
Terracotta warriors of all sizes and shapes. Gorgeous robes and wall hangings at Pearl River. A beautiful piece of joss paper which cost all of 25¢. It probably measured 12x12 inches. Gold bugs on rice paper from Pearl River. We are very lucky to live just a few hours from NYC and to be able to take advantage of all it has to offer.

12 comments:

  1. There are many good food stores at canal street, I like roast duck there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg-Isn't the bus to NYC great? I'd never fly or take the train again. Looks like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Love this site! I am a Brooklyn-ite, but right now am in London for five weeks! Can anyone recommend sites, shops, junk and boot sales for me to peruse? So excited to be here, but I'm a bit at a loss for real advice! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to have NYC so close, and travel so affordable with BoltBus and MegaBus.

    And we were lucky on this trip to have had perfect, perfect weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They have beautiful blue and white vases which I would LOVE to use for our arrangements, but unfortunately they are a little to expensive for our little business!

    ReplyDelete
  6. TCG... if you e-mail me, i can give you some resources. also, click on the Life in the UK link on the right for some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love pearl market. I think I'd have an anxiety attack if I ever actually entered the real store. There's just so much good STUFF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Megan... seriously! There is so much good stuff that if I go to NYC and don't go to Pearl River, I feel like I've missed something!

    I should have taken some pictures of the brocade notebooks with frog closures I bought. They're terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you had a good trip. Hope you and Julie ate well when you were in NY.

    TCG - another former Brooklynite here. Why not try Church Street/Alfies Antique Market, or Spitalfields and Brick Lane, or Columbia Road flower market on a Sunday, or Camden Passage in Islington (although sadly a shadow of its former self)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...but far enough away to put yourself into personal bankruptcy??? I love that bug paper!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all this. I lived in SoHo in the 70s, and really feel nostalgic about it whenever I see photos like this.

    Here in LA we have our own funny abbreviated Chinatown, with its crowded market alleys run by newer generation immigrants - it may not be as pretty but I love the cheesiness and energy of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.