June 22, 2009

Stained Glass Windows

I've loved stained glass windows since I was a child. Our house had three long windows on our landing that were originally a heavy stained glass, but my parents had them replaced with diamond-paned leaded glass windows that brightened up the area and made it easier for my mother to see what the four of us were doing in the back yard. There was a great window seat and it was the perfect place to sit and read.
When I was at Housewerks, I noticed all of the stained glass panels they have hanging from the rafters of their building. Many of the pieces have come out of old house that are being demolished, or from churches that have closed. This piece isn't very old, but the design with the opaque glass is wonderful. One of my favourite pictures of glass from Housewerks was taken at a Halloween party there two years ago. The building has a huge basement, which they'd flooded with a fog machine. The chandelier against the stained glass panel floating in the fog always appealed to me.

11 comments:

  1. This place really is amazing-our DC Design Bloggers group might have to come up to Baltimore and have you take us there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love stained glass windows. Not so much the victorian ones, but all done by F.L.Wright, the great graphic designs!
    And the old cathedrals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't glass wonderful!! Thank you for trying to keep it from being totally lost. You do such lovely, caring things.

    Somewhat off topic, my husband and I watched "Washington Square" again. I had forgotten that the movie was filmed in Baltimore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homewerks looks like it has some special finds. Still love the window seat photo from your home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HBD... I forgot it was filmed here, too. It's just a couple of blocks from where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved stained glass but have never been able to commit to using it. There's a gigantic store in Bakersfield CA (where I find some of my best "junque" and antiques) called Great American Antique Mall. They always have about a bazillion windows stacked up and hanging from the rafters. Pricey for being out in the middle of nowhere but one of these days, one might just be worth bringing home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, I just want to hop in the car and go there. Now. I have stained glass windows on my mind big time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I want/need that chandelier!! In our last house we retro-fitted a small stained glass window into a door that lead from the kitchen to a window-lit laundry room. It elevated a plain door to a piece of art! Love stain glass!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mrs. E. and I hung two panels that were from an old (Belgian?) church in the bar room windows. During the late afternoon, when they catch the light, it really is pleasant.

    But nothing compares to La Sainte-Chapelle. Magic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Housewerks is so amazing, isn't it? A few years ago, we bought a set of super cool zinc windows there - circa 1920, probably from an old store. The glass is so thick and it's in a grid and it discolored, so it's purple.

    Sadly, they are still sitting in the basement. They're amazing, but we're not sure what to do with them. But one day...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.