October 30, 2008

Days 6 and 7

I had the most incredible time in Wales with my ex-housemate and his two darling boys. They are so sweet and funny! I was really touched that the older one, who's now nine, remembered a lot of details about me living there, and this morning when he got dressed, he wore a t-shirt that my sister had sent him when my nephew came to stay with us. It was an Old Navy surfer shirt with an American flag motif. It was a lovely attention to detail.

His little brother presented me with an incredible drawing when I arrived and I can already see that he'll be a real talent - both parents are artists. This little guy is seven and is just a wee thing with a head of blond curls.


Looking out from the Norwegian Church, where Roald Dahl and his family were members.
The Penarth Cliffs and the barrage.
Waterfront fortifications, now a restaurant.
We had dinner with one of the neighbours (who looked like Hugh Grant!) and his young son and just had a rollicking good time over a brilliant curry made by the nine-year old!One of Andy's mosaics, installed in the new bath at "our" house.
It was very chilly and windy and we spent the morning at the Museum of Welsh Life, which I'd not seen before. They've got a "small" castle on the site and we spent time there in their formal gardens.
Part of St. Fagan's Castle dates from the 1500's, while the remainder is Victorian. Gate from the castle keep to the garden.
View of the Castle's main drive.
Gate into one of the formal gardens. There was a heavy frost, and you can see traces of it on this plant. Signpost for London. These are still quite common on village roads. Old Welsh village scene with red call box.Lower section of the castle garden, diving the old village from the castle.I leave for home tomorrow, and I can easily say that this trip has been a huge success. I look forward to getting back to Connor.

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've had a wonderful trip! I look forward to seeing all your photos when you return :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are enjoying yourself. Looking forward to the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. connor can't wait for you to come home, too - he told mona so (you know, dogs with their super-sensitive hearing and all).

    have a safe journey home, adn we can't wait to see all your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you had a wonderful time in Wales. I, too, can't wait for the pics :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Safe travels. Edward and I are so looking forward to your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the signposts and call boxes!

    -Lana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you made it back safe and sound - what a beautiful village - the pictures are just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have captured the "quaintness" of Europe in your snapshots so well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you had a LOVELY trip! It is so nice you got to spend it with family and friends, old and new! Looking forward to all of your beautiful photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. St. Fagans is an amazing place to spend the day, for kids and adults too, isn't it?
    I'm pretty sure I remember that milestone (or one remarkably like it)when it was still at Tythegston, we used to reach it by riding on lanes and tracks from Ogmore Farm (by the castle)through Merthyr Mawr and past the ruin of Candleston Castle on the edge of the dunes. The main Bridgend-Pyle road was where we would turn round and head back. Thanks for reminding me of those happy times!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.