August 5, 2013

Et Ce Que

This post is a little of this, a little of that.

First, thanks to everyone who gave me such great suggestions for the beets. I wrapped them in foil, and baked them until soft, and then they were simple to peel! I am marinating them in a bit of balsamic vinegar and will make a salad with them. I am slow cooking the cherry tomatoes until they’re “sundried” and then will put them in olive oil for use later. I am still trying to figure out a use for the three onions. Maybe an onion marmalade to make for the winter? I don’t have a dozen Weck jars for nothing!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I am mad for the BBC show, Dr. Who. They filmed it in Cardiff when I lived there, and as shocking as it is for me to believe, I actually watch and like a SciFi show! I love seeing the places I knew and loved when I lived there and it makes me completely and totally homesick for my life in Wales. My car is even in one episode (Cybermen II), they filmed it on our street.imageDr. Who’s been on and off the air for 50 years this year and after a hiatus of a dozen or so years, it started up again while I was in Cardiff. I would watch them film, and I adored the classically-trained lead, Christopher Eccleston.imageThe Doctor regenerates every so often (usually when the actor playing him quits), and comes back as a brand new person. After two young-ish Doctors, we’ve got another mature one.image Peter Capaldi, whom you may know from Local Hero or Dangerous Liaisons, amongst many other roles. His most well-known one is Malcolm Tucker from The Thick of It. He’s absolutely the most foul-mouthed character, using the F-bomb as a noun, a verb and an adjective, sort of based on Rahm Emanuel. I love that they didn’t pick some pretty boy to play The Doctor, and that we might now be exploring his darker side, like they did when Christopher Eccleston played him. (dorkieness over now!)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Shameless self promotion here: I am going to be adding lots and lots to my Etsy and Ebay pages in the next few weeks. I am just overwhelmed with what’s in my house and need to de-accession it before the next auction comes around at the end of the month. Lots of great Wedgwood jasperware pieces, silver and French Ivory cutlery and single pieces, some great old silver teapots, more blue and white, and brown and white china,image fabrics, including Scalamandre and Lilly Pulitzer, design and decorating books, some monogrammed linen sheets and much more. I am just DONE with some of this and need to get it gone. Check the sidebar to the right to see what’s new on Etsy, and check PigtownDesign on Ebay. I guarantee that there will be lots of great prices on lots of great pieces.

(We now return you to your regularly scheduled blog.)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Want to buy a castle? This one’s for sale. It’s near Aberdeenshire in Scotland. image

It needs (quite) a bit of work, but you could do it up in any style you want. All yours for just £400,000! Available through Sotheby’s.

7 comments:

  1. Caramelize the onions and freeze them, we use them in soups and mashed potatoes all the time in the fall/winter. They are also good in a puff pastry as a tart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meg,
    The beets sounds divine. How old would you guess that castle to be? It's really quite charming, perhaps a bit dark inside since it doesn't have many windows....I would guess it would be rather difficult for the invaders to break into.
    Have a super week.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Castle is about 1600's. I am sure it's pitch dark inside.

      Delete
  3. love the BBC, Dr. Who especially! adore Et Ce Que. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not seen Dr Who, where have I been!?
    You can boil beets if you leave the ends on otherwise they will bleed.Someone may have already told you that.
    Off to see your latest Etsy finds!

    Thank you,
    Karena
    2013 Design Series

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had heard they were considering Peter Capaldi, inspired choice for the Doctor. Will have to look out for him as they are always stationed in the barrage car park or Toys-r-us car park!
    Di
    Xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.