August 20, 2013

Lettuce Entertain You!

A few weeks ago, the Wall Street Journal had a piece about Lettuce Ware, about which I was vaguely aware. Apparently, C.Z. Guest collected it and had tons of pieces of all sorts. This is some of her collection in her kitchen. image

As you might expect, pieces like Lettuce Ware were produced in England during the 18th and 19th centuries. Doesn’t it seem like one of those things that Victorians would love? Of course, around the same time, Majolica from Portugal and Spain started coming into fashion as well, but it wasn’t as realistic as the English pieces.

American potteries such as Wanopee, a no-longer-existing Connecticut company, and Dodie Thayer, from Florida, produced Lettuce Ware. The Duchess of Windsor, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and Brooke Astor were all collectors of Dodie Thayer’s Lettuce.image

JBKO’s 20 piece Dodie Thayer Lettuce collection went for almost $7,000 at auction, while Brooke Astor’s 218 piece collection went for over $75,000, even though the estimate was only $9,000! You’ve got to have a lot of confidence to serve a dinner on this, although I’d see it more as luncheon ware. And, of course, it would be only one of your sets of china!

If pieces like this one, on 1st Dibs are a little out of your price range, imageyou can check Ebay and thrift shops for similar pieces. I recently found this small tureen at a local thrift shop. It’s marked “Holland”, so not the good stuff, but it’s a great little piece, nevertheless. It could start me on a whole new area of collections!

Click the links for articles about Lettuce Ware and Dodie Thayer.

19 comments:

  1. I would love to use this every single day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lime - I am sure you would! It's in the correct colour range!

      Delete
  2. Actually, it's the sieves and strainers on the pegboard that caught my eye. Love those clean shapes and lines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the article as well and was reminded my grandma had a huge lettuce tureen on her sideboard which had been her grandmothers that she brought over with her from Scotland, so presumably English. I remember it had a little lady bug on it (porcelain of course) that always freaked me out as a kid. One of the many things I wish I had taken instead of being sold at their estate sale! But it's hard -you can't take EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is a charming pattern and perfect for a spring or summer luncheon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree... summer lunch, outside, bright crisp foods, lots to drink!

      Delete
  5. Nothing is better. The Lettuce Ware and particularly this photo. I love it on so many levels!! Have fun collecting, Meg!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The few plates I have look great when set on a printed tablecloth. So rustic and charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see the plates shining on both plain and printed cloths! They seem very versatile!

      Delete
  7. Meg, I love these pieces.... does anyone have the link for the article on CZ Guest?
    Incredible collections!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Feature: Artist Anne Harwell

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry I see that you listed it!Thank you...
    Karena

    ReplyDelete
  9. what conversation pieces + love everything + read the article in the NY paper. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Over at Cookbook Of The Day we did a post on Harriet Healy. She published several Palm Beach Cookbooks and ran Au Bon Gout. It was THE place to buy these.

    http://cookbookoftheday.blogspot.com/2013/01/ways-with-food.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have two plates with strawberry handles in my cupboard. Never thought much about them but use them from time to time. Now I'm looking at them in a whole new light. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.