August 26, 2013

More Lettuce (sort of)

I wrote about the Lettuce Ware last week and right after that I went to a huge yard sale at the Greek Church close to my office, as I mentioned yesterday. One of the things that I picked up was two green leaf plates.

Not lettuce ware, but green majolica.

Of course, the first thing I did was flip them over, as I do to pretty much any china I see (that’s not in a private home!). I am always so interested in the maker’s marks. When I was looking up to see if I could find any information about plates similar to these, which are unmarked, I discovered that Wedgwood also made a lettuce leaf-style plate.image

The Wedgwood pattern seems to come in several iterations including a dark green, a leafier green and white.image

There also seems to be a huge price range on these plates on Ebay, ranging from $9.00 to $70.00 for one plate!image

Some of the plates are lettuce/cabbage leaves and others are strawberry leaves.image

I am always amazed that you hear or read about something, and then all of a sudden it appears everywhere! What fun!

5 comments:

  1. The various green designs on plates are looking very nice.Creation and printings are great in combination.Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another delightful post. I found a copy of Julia Child's MtaoFC vol one, from the 24th printing 1973. still tickled to find it; for 2 dollars dust jacket included!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sent this to a friend who collects majolica! wonderful photos. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete

  4. Items just don't appear everywhere, you do a great
    job of tracking them down!!! The green plates are so beautiful. If I were not downsizing I would be grabbing them but at 84 it time to stop!!! Thanks for your great finds and posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meg, so true! I love these different variations you came across!

    xoxo
    Karena
    2013 Authors Series
    "Love Where You Live"

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.