August 13, 2013

Blue & White with a Contemporary Twist

I was strolling through Facebook and some fascinating contemporary blue and white pieces caught my eye! Enough so that I clicked through to the website and browsed around until I found the pieces featured at Pagoda Red.

First up, blue and white bottles modeled on Coke bottles by artist Taikkun Li.image

This pair of lucite chairs has each joint hand painted in blue and white porcelain in the Ming Pattern. By July Zhou.image

You can get a better look at the joints hereimage from a detail on a table.image

How about this piece from a recent exhibit at the Museum of Fine Art in Boston?image

This contemporary necklace out of blue and white china discs was also featured.image

Here’s the original plate!image

Paul Scott takes a piece of Spode, copies it almost exactly, and a new piece emerges.image

This is a piece Scott salvaged from the shuttered Spode works’ kiln. image

Wedgwood and Royal Copenhagen have produced contemporary versions of their classic pieces. I remember seeing “After Willow” for the first time when I was living in London.image I had to buy one piece, even though I didn’t even have a flat yet! imageThey took elements of the original design and expanded them to fill the piece. image

Most of Wedgwood’s pieces like this were done by ceramicist Robert Dawson.

Regardless of how contemporary the pieces are, they’ve still got a classic look to them!

14 comments:

  1. The piece from the Boston museum should be named "Octopus Cotillion". Lovely stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the table with the corners and the necklace soooo much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still trying to work out how they did the necklace!

      Delete
  3. Really-- is coke the only brand distributed in a plastic bottle in that shape? With vending machines I would think mountain dew would be bottled in the same shape container for ease of a mechanized dispensing scheme. Anyway, it reminded me of the wine bottle painted with latex paint decorated with hot glue for a relief design (google wine bottle crafts) anyway- if finished with a clear coat vs a matte finish one can engage in an inexpensive satisfying project. What is it??? blue and white is irresistable. ps. in the break room at work, the soda achines are very popular. I can't get over it-- co wokers walk right past the water fountain and make a bee line for soda!! everyday. as a kid a soda was a treat, I still exercise a modicum of willpower rarely do I ever consume a sugared carbonated beverage. plain carbonated water yes , carbonated natural spring water please, calorie chemical free but carbonated for me please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the word Coke as a generic equivalent to any sort of soda.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for introduction to these beautiful pieces as well as Pagoda Red.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Robert Scott Spode piece with the cars is a hoot! That would be so much fun in amongst a collection of traditional blue plates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I'd just slip it in and see if anyone notices. And I love that it's got a Volvo wagon on it!

      Delete
  6. Hi Meg,

    We love your post. Thanks for featuring our collection and taking an interest in Chinese art and design.
    Fantastic Blog!

    Best,
    Pagoda Red

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite impressed with the range of your collection! Wonderful things!

      Delete
  7. Blu Dot did a great melamine collection for Target with a blurred Willow-ish pattern:

    http://www.target.com/p/too-by-blu-dot-storyteller-dinner-plate-set-of-4-blue/-/A-14174120#prodSlot=medium_1_6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I hadn't seen these before. I really try and ignore Target's special collaborations, as they haven't lived up to the hype.

      Delete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.