August 29, 2013

Ready for the Weekend?

It’s the long Labor Day weekend here in the States, and there’s lots happening. But first, some updates!

It’s been pretty much decided that the doorknobs are really Mark Twain. No word whether the owner of the house agrees, but I’ve gotten some irrefutable evidence that it’s Mark, including this from my dear Flo…

Best thing I've found so far is this similar-looking doorknob, similar in that the material/metal appears to be the same, and the crappy casting job appears to be the same, the spacing of the head/bust within the circle are alike, the raised ridges do not occur in the same sequences,man on the face is of the similar doorknob is identified by the auction house as Robert E Lee - which THEN made me wonder What do Twain and Lee have in common so that there would be doorknobs made of them, ah! maybe some earnest foundry produced a great-Americans series of doorknobs at the turn of the century.image

Also, my friend Ben, aka General Rubric, who is the owner of Housewerks Salvage, said this:

Before I even read the background, I thought it looked like Mark Twain, who was at the height of his fame in the early 20th century and the fact that there are other similar knobs would seem to support that these knobs bear his likeness. I am not so sure he needs to have a Baltimore connection in order for someone to appreciate his likeness in their home. You could also try and contact the American Doorknob Collectors Association for additional insights…

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Thanks to everyone who took the time to take the survey I posted. If you haven’t taken it yet, there is still a little time. I will be picking a name from those who responded (and left their contact information) on September 1. You can take the survey here. There have been some excellent suggestions, great comments, and good ideas. I will be compiling the results this weekend and it will help me improve and build a better blog.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

It was a gorgeous evening and the grass had just been cut, so I took advantage of it all and sat outside with Connor for a little while and contemplated the day. Of course, I had to fire up the chandelier that’s hanging from my mulberry tree. There’s nothing better than sitting outside on a quite late-summer’s evening.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

If you remember the pillows that I made for my friends a month or so ago, I got a commission to make another set… for a big deal author!
KT test 1 KT test 2

I will be whipping them up this weekend and shipping them off for her to put in her rental cottage on Tybee Island, Georgia.

I will also be adding some more items to my Etsy shop!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Other than that, a couple of dinners, some meet-ups with friends, and some general work around the house, not much happening over the weekend. What about you?

18 comments:

  1. I hope that you have a fabulous weekend! Congratulations on your pillow commission. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! A couple of interesting things have popped up!

      Delete
  2. Well, I do hope your readers will take the time to search the internet this weekend and learn more about Mark Twain. Those that think why would someone idolize a writer such as Mark Twain need to pause and reflect on the impact this prolific writer made on America long before radio, t.v., face book, twit ter and insta gram!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure most people are aware of Mark Twain, but perhaps not how popular he was at the turn of the 1900's.

      Delete
  3. Crappy casting....perhaps the look of crappy casting and the lack of detail and crispness is due to the fact it is a Door knob and touched when in use... to wear away what crispness existed at the time of installation is to be expected from the dirt and grime on the hands of the members of the household.....and who is to say perhaps the youngsters of the house took delight in making the guy stand on his head LOL Honestly, these door knobs are old, right.... and loved!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be crappy casting, or it could be a lot of use. But I am sure that not all knobs in the house got equal use and wear.

      Delete
    2. On the subject crappy casting/equal use er, have you seen every door knob in the house? Did the poster include images of every door knob in the house and indicate he most touched door knob? What doorknob do you touch most frequently in your house? my back porch, which is covered, the exterior door knob is shamefully a mess due to the exterior exposture hmm I think I shall replace the ugly door knobs in my house. Survey How often should one replace door hardware?

      Delete
  4. Hey Meg,
    I am so happy for you in terms of your artwork. I have seen how well your prints are selling. Very well deserved. I love mine, thank you so much. I will be having them framed and blogged about.

    I love your outdoor chandelier, so decadent.

    It was a mint julep, I remembered as soon as you mentioned it. Very, very nice indeed :-)
    Much love
    Di
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Building Canstruction at the national building museum tomorrow -this year's theme is the 'national mall' and I'm really excited to see what the other firms have come up with. Ours will clearly be the best though ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to hear all about this! We do a sand sculpture exhibition here in Baltimore.

      Delete
  6. Staying home to putter + son is here from NY + love that you have a commission. congratulations! Happy weekend. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I WANT the RE Lee doorknob!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the chandelier you have outside! Awesome!

    Happy Labor Day weekend!

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca... I found it at a yard sale and knew exactly where I would be hanging it. I can't wait for a good snowfall to light it in the winter.

      Delete
  9. The doorknob looks quite a bit like Robert E. Lee. Has anyone suggested that?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.