May 29, 2013

The Emu

My friend Debby, who’s an animal advocate extraordinaire, has a new little companion. imageShe arrived several months ago in a big greenish blue egg. image

She was a tiny little thing, but pecked her way out of the egg. imageBefore she did that, she’d wobble the egg when she heard noises, which should have been a clue as to how active she’d become!image

Ethel, that’s her name, now has her own Facebook page, here. Ethel is very good friends with the weinerdog, Walter. image

Here she is as a baby in early May. image

Now, she’s more than 19 inches tall and will grow to more than five feet high.

She’s a good little thing, as evidenced here when Debby tells her to stay in the garden – and she does!

She’s totally hilarious as she learns to climb the stairs, aided by her trusty dog, Walter.

And she gets her exercise by running up and down Debby’s city garden.

Ethel will be moving to a farm in a few weeks, so make sure you “friend” her on Facebook and watch her further adventures.

6 comments:

  1. Will she still be a good little thing when she is 5 FT tall and Debby tells her to stay in the garden!?

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet. I can't wait for updates as she grows into a very chic lady. Can't imagine sending her to a farm after hand raising her.
    Thank you.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love emus! I had a neighbor that raised them. They used to enjoy it when I rubbed their necks or sprayed them with the hose over the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! Wonder if emus are related to ostriches?? I'll have to google. I love animals and wish we had a farm :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emus? I don't think I have ever seen one. I will look for updates as she grows. So adorable. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ethel is charming. I am sure she will miss the splendid garden we have glimpses of in the video. If you could show us more pictures and hear about how your friend chose such a lush landscape it is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.