May 22, 2013

Peggy Stewart House in Annapolis for Sale

When I lived in Annapolis many years ago, the Peggy Stewart House was a part of my daily life. imageI would spot it frequently as I walked to and from work, and on my jaunts around town. imageIt’s now on the market for $3.2 million.

The Peggy Stewart House got its name from the ship named after Anthony Stewart’s daughter, Margaret. Stewart, a merchant and importer, lived in the home for seven years. in 1774, he returned to the US with a ship full of tea, paid the duty on the tea which was a violation of non-importation agreement. There was a riot, and Stewart was forced by the mob to set fire to his ship and its cargo. Stewart fled Annapolis soon after.image

TheStewart House includes five bedrooms, four bathrooms, eight garage parking spaces (which may account for the high price – parking is at a premium in Annapolis, year-round), a roof deck,image and an elegant rear garden, all on an unusually large lot.

The house is adjacent to the wall of the US Naval Academy and looks over the historic chapel. image

Many of the original details of the house remain, including dentil molding, image

the original center-hall stairs, image

and beautiful plasterwork.image

The colour scheme is sympathetic to the house’s historic origins. image

image

However, the house also is full of mod-cons, including a great kitchen with all of the big name appliances, imageand central air-conditioning, essential in this part of the world, and, of course, indoor plumbing!image

Having lived in Annapolis, I can tell you it’s a great place to live, and this is a fabulous house!

20 comments:

  1. I love how open and modern it feels, but still true to its time.

    And I second what you say about living in Annapolis. I lived in Eastport, not downtown, but it is a fantastic town. And that's a great location!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this house and talk about "location." I would dearly love it. Wouldn't we all? P.S. Eastport is a great section too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Eastport, too! They used to call the residents Eastportoricans.

      Delete
  3. The black and white paint on the lower moulding on the ground floor is interesting. Is that historically correct for the colonial or federal periods?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's traditional. I remember seeing it in other houses. It's great looking, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. I lived in the Murray Hill section of Annapolis and worked for some Realtors on Church Circle. I loved strolling down those historic streets and dreaming about these homes. Annapolis is a special place. I would love to return and live in one of these gems (and the parking!!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived on Cathedral Street and on PG Street.

      Delete
    2. I have friends that owned one of the townhomes opposite the entrance to the Naval Academy. The Fourth of July parade went right past their house. They had horse-hair plaster walls, original floors and a charming brick patio in the back.

      Delete
  5. fabulous neighborhood, fabulous house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to see what Darryl Carter would do with this place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meg What an amazing home! The carriage house itself would be worth a small fortune!
    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sort of tucked away, but the town's so small that it's in a perfect location. There are five of these old houses remaining in Annapolis.

      Delete
  8. I will forward this to friends who had parents that lived there. Great house + plus great post. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will probably know this house. It's one of the five remaining big historic houses there.

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful post of such a lovely house.
    If I had just won the lottery I would be right
    on it. Thank you for giving such fantastic views of how the "other half" lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sorry to see that I didn't win that big lottery pool, either!

      Delete
  10. Annapolis is a gem. It will always be one of the most beautiful cities in the U.S.

    In addition to living on campus at SJC, I also lived on Charles Street and on Market Street. Many, many fond memories.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.