May 5, 2013

Rabbits, Horses, Flowers, Sunshine and More!

We have been so lucky here in the Mid-Atlantic states with four absolutely perfect weekends in a row – sunny, upper-60’s and clear as a bell! Everyone’s taking advantage of the cool spring to be out and about as much as possible. The light this time of year is glorious and I’ve been taking pictures at my favourite time of the day, when the sun’s low and casting a golden glow.

I snapped some pictures of Connor with our new garden ornament – a wonderful rabbit given to me by the delightful and darling Virginia Newman Yocum of Pennoyer-Newman, who make the most amazing garden ornaments!

I think Connor’s a little freaked out that the rabbit’s moving around him!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

On to the horses! I am thrilled to bits for local family, the Janneys, whose horse, Orb, won the Kentucky Derby. OrbI do what I can to support locally-owned businesses, in this case, a stable, and was happy to put a bet on Orb to win, place or show. I was even more delighted to win $128! Now it’s on to the Preakness in two weeks.

Of course, we kicked off the race-watching with Mint Juleps, served in some of the cups I’d gotten from One King’s Lane a few months ago. derbyI had the most miniscule bit of mint growing, but when I came home from work the other day, the lawn guy had cut it back to nubs, so I had to forage for some in a friend’s garden.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

On Saturday, I attended the Ladew Garden Festival, and it was just the most beautiful day for it. I was looking at my pictures from the past few years, and noticed that the gardens are a few weeks behind where they usually are. The tulips weren’t quite in bloom,the azaleas were just beginning to bud, but the urns and other seasonal plantings looked spectacular.

There were some new faces at the Festival this year, including Matthew Mead, lifestyle editor and now magazine publisher. He and his wife, Jenny, had a great booth with lots of the vintage pieces they’re known for.

Some of the other booths in the Antiques Tent were friends, Halcyon House Antiques,

perennial favourite, Hoffman Woodward,

and of course, Pennoyer Newman.

The image above is from a casting of a container found at Ladew Gardens. It’s a terrific piece.

There were also lots of great and unusual plants to be found on the Garden Row.

For all of the local Ravens’ fans, there was an amazing deep purple azalea.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The season for rhubarb is a short one, and when it’s around, I usually buy a bunch and then freeze it for later use. When I lived in the UK, one of my great addictions was Champagne Rhubarb Yoghurt, along with the other two flavours shown!

I decided to try making my own, and found a recipe from Jamie Oliver which I adapted. I chopped rhubarb stalks into inch-long pieces, chucked them in a pan and added water and sugar, cooked it until it was soft (about 7-10 minutes) and then put it into one of my Weck jars.Once it had chilled, I added it to some Greek yoghurt for the perfect treat.

I hope your weekend was glorious!

16 comments:

  1. There's nothing like bright sunshine and clear skies. Your temperatures sound more bearable however!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Col... the temps have been perfect for the last few weeks. Not a speck of humidity to be found. Glorious!

      Delete
  2. do you make your own "Greek" yogurt? I purchase plain yogurt and use a coffee filter to drain the excess liquid off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should make my own, but I generally buy it. Such a slacker.

      Delete
  3. Hi Meg, What a glorious spring!! Thanks for the recipe, we do not see very much rhubarb here in SC. Rhubarb and strawberry pie--yum.
    Have a wonderful week.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father grew rhubarb when we were children and we all still love it. Stewed rhubarb and bananas.

      Delete
  4. Beatiful pics. I love that huge scallop from Pennoyer Newman. Congrats on your win. Sat was a great day - my husband had the exacta, yeah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love everything from Pennoyer Newman! How much did your hubby win in the exacta? The place finisher had pretty high odds.

      Delete
  5. Meg, it looks like you had a BUSY and beautiful weekend. I am not a huge fan of rhubarb, but I had it recently in France with panna cotta and raspberries and it was scrumptious! Connor looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that it's a bit of an acquired taste and texture!

      Delete
  6. What great photos, I have never seen purple azalea! Have a wonderful week. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never seen this colour either, but it's perfect for Ravens' fans.

      Delete
  7. My weekend was pretty damn good but yours looks even better.

    Must try that ice cream.

    Was Connor sticking his tongue out at you?

    xo jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that Connor's actually yawning! After i took these pictures, he just rolled over and went to sleep. He loves sleeping on the grass in the sun.

      Delete
  8. Oh to be at the Derby! Such fun thanks for the insider look!
    Check out my blog for another good rhubarb recipe I make every spring. The secret is the top quality vanilla extract.http://marieardenpinkliving.blogspot.com/ just search under rhubarb very easy recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.