May 26, 2013

Memorial Day

When I lived in Annapolis, I used to attend services at the multi-denominational Naval Academy Chapel. imageIt’s a beautiful church and services there were especially lovely, imagewith the midshipmen and women providing much of the music.

One of the songs that was sung at every service was the Navy Hymn, and I think its words are most appropriate today, Memorial Day, the day on which we remember all those who’ve served our country on the land, in the air, and at sea.

Navy Hymn

Eternal Father, Strong to save,
Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
Who bid'st the mighty Ocean deep
Its own appointed limits keep;
O hear us when we cry to thee,
for those in peril on the sea.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for directing my attention to the video of The Navy Hymn. I remember so clearly being overwhelmed by its beauty the first time I heard it as the representives of all the armed forces carried President Kennedy up the Capitol steps to lie in state. Your post today made me spend time thinking of the people and things one is meant to think of on this solemn day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.