May 10, 2013

Pagoda House

There was a house listed in the New York Times’ real estate section that no fewer than five people sent me the link.

image

It’s called the Pagoda House and its main feature is a pagoda-like roof on one of the wings. The house is in Blackheath, a village in southeast London and is nearly adjacent to 200+ acres of parklands.

The designer was Sir William Chambers, the architect to King George III; the earliest part of the house, dates to the late 1760s, and was used by Caroline, Princess of Wales, the estranged wife of George, Prince of Wales.

The paneling in the entry hall is English oak in the arts and crafts style. I love the orange sofa and the ginger jar pillow. Looks like it’s Scalamandré's La Dame Aux Camelias print.  image

In the drawing room, the paneling is Western Red Cedar and the floors are English oak. I am not quite sure what to say about the ceiling, and neither, it seems, is the New York Times. image

Another oak floor, with paneling from the early 20th century, and pray to god, another odd ceiling. It’s almost too smooth and too white to be the original plaster. The dining room table looks like it belongs in a conference room, and the chairs are too low for it.  image

I must say, it’s not too often that you see both an Aga stove and a disco ball in the same kitchen! imageGreat built-in Asian influenced closets and drawers. Great Manuel Canovas wallpaper. Not great together. image

I love the pale pink walls, the crown moulding and the coved ceiling. I think I would pick out the detail in a nice bright glossy white paint.image

Seriously, if this was my house, this would be my bedroom. It’s got views over London and amazing windows. I wouldn’t care if the loo was all the way down the hall! imageAnd it’s got hand-painted Chinoiserie wall paper!image

I love the little canal water feature in the back garden. imageThe house is on the market £2.975  million.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Meg, Love the house, but seriously: 3.000.000 for the interior design is a bit pricey. The disco ball and the bedroom wall paper would be the first to go when I move in.
    Have a wonderful week-end.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this house + Chinese is a favorite of mine. Happy Friday xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg I love all of the Asian influences in this house and the Pagoda style is so unique to say the least!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a fabulous house. The furnishings are a curious lot that seem to have nothing to do with the house, though. If it was not all so funky, I would say it was just staged so the house would not have to be presented empty. I was thrilled to see it, though. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blackheath Village is pretty with lots of attractive old buildings but its a real schlep from from the West End and £3 million is far too much for any house in any house in South London!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought this house could be World of Interiors worthy with a very little work (other than to back up a skip and toss out every stick of furniture).

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of the most spectacular houses I've ever seen, with some of the most spectacularly hideous decor. Happily, they make large skips. And I'm with you... the billiards room is my bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whether or not you love the furniture, the house really is beautiful. The disco ball in the kitchen also adds a weird touch:)
    Maude

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.