August 20, 2010

What a Yacht!

One of the things I like best about where I live is that it’s about a mile to the water, and it’s just such a great thing to be that close. As I was running errands today, I drove by the local yacht yard and nearly crashed my car.

Sticking out over the road was the bow of an amazing racing yacht with a huge red dragon on it.  The red dragon is the symbol for Wales, but I thought this one had more of an Asian look to it. RKHYC 006 I pulled into the yard to I could see the rest and was just blown away.RKHYC 001 This is clearly a high-end, go-fast, stripped-down ocean racer. The flat bottom with the twin stabilizing fin keels on the stern and the long centerboard keel with the bulbous bit on the bottom indicate some real engineering and money. The centerboard keel is so long and weighted by the bulb to balance the huge mast and the massive sails.RKHYC 004 The sheer beauty of this yacht was only outshone by the darling Australian crew on it who told me that it was out of Hong Kong… Um, yes, I can read that on the transom, mate.RKHYC 003 That’s what I love about Baltimore. You never know what you’ll see around the next corner!

4 comments:

  1. I just love that you always have your camera ready to snap such spontaneous moments - and discoveries! Now if the Aussie crew had only invited you for a spin - and asked you to bring along a friend. NYC is only 3 hrs away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, that is a real boat! Thanks for the photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.