August 4, 2010

Toiles-de-Jouy Book Due in October 2010

I got the good news that the Victoria & Albert Museum’s book on Toiles-de-Jouy is out in October 2010. If you’re a fan of toiles, like I am, then this book will be one for your personal library.ToilesOriginally referring only to the famed fabrics of Jouy-en-Josas,‘toiles de Jouy’ has today become the catch-all term for the delightful printed cottons preferred by the aristocratic elite in eighteenth- and nineteenth-century France, made famous by the palaces of Marie-Antoinette and Empress Josephine. Sarah Grant introduces the design, dyeing, and printing processes that created these textiles, and their role in interior decoration and clothing, both then and now. toile de south africa Sumptuous new photography of the V&A’s extensive toiles collection illustrates the cottons’ diversity – floral, literary, antique, allegorical, bucolic and ‘exotic’, among others – offering inspiration to everyone with an interest in textiles and interiors. toile annapolis Sarah Grant is an Assistant Curator of Prints at the Victoria and Albert Museum, and was formerly an Assistant Curator in the Museum’s Textiles and Dress section.

You can pre-order the book here.

PS! After I posted this, my friend Adam sent me a picture of a Toile de Baltimore, hon!  Toile de baltimore, honI need to find out the story of it from him.

8 comments:

  1. How very cool. I love toile. My toile wallpaper has been a wonderful conversation starter at dinner parties. Everyone makes a guess as to the situation represented and it is often funny and risque.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are already two definitive books on toiles de Jouy:
    - Toiles de Jouy: Printed Textiles in the Classic French Style by Riffel, Rouart and Walter (this book was researched and written in France and the photos are terrific.)
    - Printed French Fabrics: Toiles de Jouy by Josette Bredif (also researched and printed in France.)
    Both these books have extensive documentation and beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Toile and also love your latest Chinoisserie Pillow in lime!

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, so beautiful! I was already smitten when I saw the toile of Annapolis, but of Charm City, too?! How delightful. Keep 'em coming, hon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to pick up a copy! Who doesn't love toile?

    Eddie & Jaithan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found a piece of the Toile de Baltimore awhile back, showing part of Mt. Vernon and also the State House in Annapolis. This piece is now framed and hanging in the Maryland Room at the C. Burr Artz Library in Frederick. The room's archivist and I would like to know more about the fabric, so I am begging you to get Adam to tell you all he knows and please, pass it along!! I bought my piece on eBay, where it was listed as "pretty pink building" and I thought, wow, that dome looks familiar. I took some jpgs. before I framed it, and I would be happy to share them with you. The piece I had was 48" selvedge to selvedge, but there were no identifying marks on it. I hope Adam has a story for you! Thanks! Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ellen... I would LOVE to see some of the jpg images. I am really curious what the rest of it looks like. If it's got the state house dome and the washington monument, i wonder if it's a maryland toile?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.