August 8, 2010

Queen Camel and Leighton Buzzard

I came across a house today on the Guardian, and would buy it solely for its proximity to the village of Queen Camel. What a brilliant name!Queen Camel It reminded me of a place where I interviewed for a position when I lived in the UK – the town of Leighton Buzzard. I could only imagine my stationery with that as the address. I’d have to come up with some wonderfully funny cipher for it.

One of the things I’ve always loved about the UK is the place names, like Chipping Norton and Chipping Campden chipping camden and Broad Campden, Upper Slaughter and Lower Slaughter, Bourton-on-the-Hill in Moreton-in-Marsh, and Shipton-under-Wychwood.  A place called Childswickham is probably pronounced Chick-am.  ChildswickhamThere are places that are near something else, like Brockhampton Park, Nr. Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. brockhampton I had a friend whose address was “Home Farm, Nr. Barry, Vale of Glamorgan, South Wales”. No numbers, no street, just this string of information… and a post code.

It’s not just in the country where you find the funny place names. In London, there’s Kentish Town, St. Marylebone and The Little Boltons. I took the picture below for the children of one of my brother’s friends… the Little Boltons.5d 029  History is all around you.

5 comments:

  1. I would love to have one of those addresses! The British have such a way with just about everything. Love your blog. Have a great week. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Little Boltons - now that's an address in London. I used to own a flat in Redcliffe Square, although I never lived in it. Rather wish I had kept it - I was just dreaming about a bolt to London, and need a...well palace... in which to park my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great and to have beautiful stationary with an address like these!

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post. The addresses have so much character - in my neighborhood St. and Avenue are about as diverse as you get!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Following on from Queen Camel, other animal place names in Britain include Foxhole, Mousehole, Badger, and Owl's Green. Childswickam is pronounced as it's written, but Mousehole is pronounced 'Mousle'.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.