January 31, 2014

Kitchen Auction

Well, sort of. A few weeks ago, Christie’s in London held an auction called “The Art of Food and Drink”, and I am actually pretty happy that I didn’t know about it until after it was over!image

Seriously, there were so many fun things up for bid that I would have gone broke bidding! I will show you some favourites, and then give you the link to the e-catalogue so you can spend some time being wildly mad that you weren’t there either!

Early 20th Century French Oyster Signs, est. $2,000

image

Extinct Elephant Bird Egg, est. $33,000image

Fossilized scallop shells from Southern France, est. $3,300image

Copper Jelly Moulds, est. $4,100image

Victorian Tole-painted tea caddies, est. $12,000image

Four Fornasetti “Whimsical Recipe” plates, est. $1,300image

1920’s fitted English Picnic Hamper, est. $3,300image

French Mahogany Champagne Table! est. $4,900image

THhree lithographs on linen, $17,000image

Six angled decanters in ebony case, est. $17,000image

Here’s the link to the entire catalogue. It’s fun to look through and imagine what you’d buy!

17 comments:

  1. I'm enthralled by the 1920s picnic hamper and can easily imagine some Bright Young Things quaffing Champagne and eating plover's eggs near the folly at Castle Howard with such a fine accoutrement. Can't wait to check out the catalogue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still more affordable than anything I saw at the NY Antiques Show at the Armory! But, of course, it's all relative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the prices were high, but the lots were great!

      Delete
  3. Oh these are great! Still pricey but not unreasonable I suppose. Now we know what to keep a look out for in our junking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need those Elephant Bird Eggs. Thanks for the fun.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to sub in a less expensive egg... like an ostrich!

      Delete
  5. I've never been attracted to copper "jelly moulds" until I saw those!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh how I adore the picnic basket + will look at entire catalog now. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were several listed in the catalogue and all were great!

      Delete
  7. Oh my, love the fossilized scallop shells!
    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to find fossilized scallop shells on the cliffs near where i attended college.

      Delete
  8. I want the bejewelled, articulated lobstahhhhhhh, dahling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello PD, I just about died when I read your post on this terrific auction. I think I would have done some serious damage had I been there. I want one of those very stylish picnic hampers, the Regency treen egg cups and holder, and possibly the glass storage jars (I have some similar ones to the jars shown). Oh, and those copper molds... sigh!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.