January 8, 2014

Crazy Eight!

I started this blog eight years ago today. I had recently moved back from the UK and was so “homesick” for there that it physically hurt. I was working for my best college friend’s family firm, and his father would yell at me: You! With the dark hair!” and then a pencil would come whizzing my way, with me instead of the dart board. I was living in my parents empty house until I found a place to live and I’d just adopted Connor, the amazing Houdini dog. (Yes, that is Connor with his snout in my boot on our mudroom floor!)

I needed something stable in my life, and something to focus on, other than everything that was swirling around me. I had found Style Court and the Peak of Chic. From there I discovered other blogs, and decided to put some structure in my day by writing a blog. I had been writing for years, but it was mostly fundraising pieces, grant applications and public relations articles. Writing every day would keep me in practice until I returned to fundraising. Writing the blog would also give me a chance to hone my photography skills.2013-01-19_16-19-15_65

Now, eight years and 1,993 posts later, I am embarking on a new year of blogging. I can’t wait to see what adventures I have, what fun people I will meet, what beautiful things I will see and which readers I will get to visit with in person! dinner with friends

When I hit the “publish” button eight years ago, I never ever could have imagined how full my life would become because of Pigtown*Design.copyright transparent pig copy smgrey

Thank you so much for reading along these past seven years and for all of your insightful, funny and sweet comments. I appreciate it more than you will ever know! I hope that you will come along for more of the adventure!

33 comments:

  1. Seriously, time does fly when you are having fun....Congrats on keeping it up and love popping in here. Wishing you love and more adventures and hope we can meet one day.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in it for the long haul honey. You always surprise and amaze me. It's such an interesting read and although I may not comment on every one, trust me, I have read them all. Keep up the amazing work. My day would not be right without a little Pigtown!
    Happy New Year and much love.
    I am lucky to have met you and call you my friend.
    Di
    xoxo
    PS: John send a hug too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having you along for the ride!
      Hope that the Barrage is keeping you safe in the tides that you're having. I saw a picture of a massive wave hitting Porthcawl!

      Delete
  3. Wow! Congratulations on all your amazing work. I really respect and admire your efforts and posts. I always look forward to your words and wish I find your blog a lot sooner than I did! Here is to many more years of Pigtown Design. All the best Meg, x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Meg. It is you that I need to thank for all of the years of inspiration. Here is to another 8 amazing years!!
    xoxo Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Meg. Eight years, and so interesting to know this bit of your history. Your blog was one of the first (if not the very first) to attract my attention and most of the bloggers I read are to be found among your commenters.

    Looking forward to many more great posts.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mazel mazel, Babe! You don't look a day over 5. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Though I'd heard about blogs years ago, I only began reading some three years ago. At first, I inundated myself with every blog that sounded interesting, but over time, I reduced my selection to about six that I looked forward to reading every day! Pigtown Design was, and remains, one of the most substantive, entertaining and well-written blogs on the net. Congratulations on eight years, Meg! I agree with all who find you knowledgeable, gracious and fun! Continued success with your blog..... and in life! Angela Muller

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, Happy Blogaversary, Meg! I'm so glad your head is no longer a target for pencil darts. I love your mix of design, history, travel, and other goodies. You have a unique voice and perspective, and a wonderfully welcoming tone that invites readers to participate and connect with you. May you have many more years, many thousand more posts, and many more adventures along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I am glad I am not a pencil-dart target any longer! And thanks for your lovely words!

      Delete
  9. eight years, now that is something + congratulations meg! + keep up all the good blogging + one day we will meet. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all of your comments. I truly appreciate them!

      Delete
  10. Congratulations, Meg. I just discovered your blog in the past year and read it each day. Because I am local to you, I especially love your posts about Baltimore and those about antiques. Looking forward to more !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! Hope I've helped you learn more about Baltimore!

      Delete
  11. and thank YOU for many hours of enjoyment - I became a regular reader when some family members moved to Pigtown and I was looking for ways to feel closer to them - what started out as a connection crutch has become a regularly anticipated joy all on its own!

    Many happy returns to both of us and hug to Connor.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ceci! I don't live in Pigtown anymore, but still have a lot of friends there.

      Delete
  12. Congratulations! You're one of the first blogs I found and one I always read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for taking us along on all of your adventures -one of my favorite reads!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Always enjoy reading your blog, Meg. It is informative, creative and amusing. Congratulations on your eighth year, looking forward to the ventures of you and Connor in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  15. 8 years and your content remains fresh and entertaining.

    You are an inspiration and apparently a pioneer!

    So happy I found you.
    xo j

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations. It's been good meeting you through the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. PIgtown has always been a fabulous read, Meg. And now more than ever, since I am soooo far away from Baltimore. I can still be a B'More citizen vicariously via your posts... much love Phil xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't come over here nearly as often as I should, but I must tell you how much I enjoy myself whenever I am here. Seven years is an eternity in blog terms ... what an achievement!

    I never thought of blogging as a way to add structure to life, but it is. Through the years, we make connections with real people (ones that we already 'know' through their writing and photos). Blogging is sharing. Thank you for taking the time to be so generous and share your world with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.