January 20, 2014

Paperwhites

It’s at this time of year, deep in the winter, that I find I need a bit of cheering up. Paperwhite narcissus bulbs are just the ticket for that cheer. Paperwhites have a very distinctive scent and there are two schools of thought that: the people who hate the smell, thinking that it is akin to the scent of cat pee, and those, like me, who love the peppery scent. IMG_3798Their white flowers, long green leaves and saffron-coloured stamens brighten these long and cold winter days.

Paperwhites are simple to grow. All you need are some stones or glass pebbles, a container of pretty much any sort, and a couple of bulbs, which are widely available for a dollar or so apiece. image

I use single teacups, small bowls, pitchers and jugs, and about anything that can hold the bulbs and water – probably three inches or taller.

I usually get a dozen or so bulbs in December and plant a few at a time, waiting until each bulb has bloomed and then starting new ones. I keep them in the office and at home – anywhere that I will see them frequently. IMG_3799

To me, this is the perfect juxtaposition – cheery white flowers against the cold white snow!

16 comments:

  1. Admire your aesthetic. My antidote to deep mid-winter is a Sara Lee cheesecake and a bottle of Pinch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. They're sort of a similar scent to gardenias and freesia.

      Delete
  3. adore paperwhites + they mean Christmas, winter to me. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love paperwhites. I have never grown them, I'm intimated somehow...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in the love school also . Do you know about giving them a tot of gin or vodka to keep them a bit shorter? It works like magic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little gin for the plants, a little gin for me. Repeat as often as necessary.

      Delete
  6. I love Paperwhites. My mother always had a few by the fireplace this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have friends who use them as cut flowers and they last forever!

      Delete
  7. Yes I got some this year for the first time but they're taking forever to bloom! I put one lone bulb in a teacup but it tipped over :-( I guess it got too leggy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mine are growing beautifully Meg, love them this time of year!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.