September 12, 2012

What My Friends Are Doing

I am so lucky to have a large contingent of interesting friends who are always doing interesting things!

I popped in to see my friends at Halcyon House last week, and they were getting ready for their annual end-of-summer sale. They assure me that they’re getting in bags that are more seasonal than these, but you know summer’s coming again next year. They even have a few of the great Taigan woven-leather boat-and-tote bags. If you think the LLBean bags wore like iron, you should see these!There are also lots of fabulous table-top items, all of which I covet, but don’t have the room for.

The sale starts on September 18 and runs through the weekend.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Speaking of Halcyon House, I am “co-hosting” a book-signing party with them on October 23rd for the newly published Fortuny Interiors. imageIf you haven’t seen it yet, this is simply one of the most beautiful books with the most stunning images.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I happened to part right in front of McLain-Wiesand at lunch this week, and popped in to see what was new. I am usually there during non-work hours, so I don’t get to see the crew busily executing their craft. Lexie was working on hand-finishing this Airplane wing console.

The crew had just finished this Pixie Stix table, and were getting ready to add the top.

It’s pretty impossible to tell, but this is a stunning top, with three layers of hand-painted glass to resemble ancient stone, or perhaps a glimmering ocean. There are touches of blue, gold, pearl, purple, green and much more in the top.

Another of the crew was getting ready to put the finishing touches on these pieces for a custom light. There are numerous steps that go into each light, and adding several finishes to each of these pieces is just the start.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

One of my favourite bloggers is up and writing again, after more than a year missing. imageI get a little nostalgic reading this because she reminds me so much of some English friends I palled around with last century. The same sense of humour, the same turn of phrase, the same life filled with funny little ups and downs. Go on over and visit her here, and be sure to say hi!

6 comments:

  1. wonderful to see some hand crafted US furniture.
    The glass table top is magnificent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meg, I'm in love with the "Pixie Stix" table. The glass surface is amazing. With my love of Fortuny fabric and my vintage Fortuny pillows, I think that I'm going to have to buy this new book. (I just wish that the new Fortuny fabric were equal to the old Fortuny). xoxo Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks incredible when it's all together, too!

      I can't wait to see the Fortuny book.

      Delete
  3. adore all your "tips". xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.