September 11, 2012

The Kindness of Strangers

A few weeks ago, a friend e-mailed me to say that one of her friends who was down-sizing, had some paintings by my mother’s second cousin, Marie Tiffany. She is the cousin who introduced my American mother to my British father, resulting in four {charming} children, of which I am the second. I told the story here.

Today, I met my friend for lunch and to pick up the paintings. This one isn’t marked, but it’s very familiar to me. I wonder if it’s not the spire of the First & Franklin Street Church, peeking above some of the surrounding apartments and row houses in the Mount Vernon section of Baltimore. Any ideas?

The second painting is of Tyson Street, where Marie and her husband lived, along with a group of artists.  I know that it’s Tyson Street for several reasons: I know the area pretty well; I have another painting of the same street, from a slightly different view point, imageand finally, because it’s marked!The paintings are signed, but not dated. I am guessing 1950’s though. They are not framed, but I like the raw canvas edges on them, and will probably hang them this way.

I am constantly humbled and grateful for lovely and kind gestures like this one, and I deeply appreciate it! Thank you so much!!

19 comments:

  1. These are delightful paintings, and remind me of similar ones from Charleston, SC. What a marvelous addition to your charming house, Meg! Reggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Reggie! They will go on the "gallery wall" with the other of her paintings.

      Delete
  2. They are charming. So nice of your friend to think of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely thing for her to do. I am most pleased.

      Delete
  3. A true 'naif'-they remind me of the early (best and most sought after) work of Utrillo.
    Cheers
    Herts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking that they are some of her earlier works.

      Delete
  4. Meg,

    The world is indeed filled with lovely people who do kind things. I love these paintings and think it is wonderful that thy found their way back to family.

    I hope you are having, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post makes me "Happy"! Congrats and getting these lovely paintings done by a family member long ago!

    LBDH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very happy! And delighted to have the paintings.

      Delete
  6. WOW!!! this was a truly LOVELY gesture!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful! Kindness,so needed in this world + they are lovely. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those paintings - not only are they lovely to look at, they have a great back-story! Win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, lucky you! The paintings are fabulous! Would be a very welcome addition to anyone's walls, let alone yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed seeing more of cousin Marie's paintings

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.