September 2, 2012

Weekend Update: Part 190

Three day weekend here in the States! Lucky us!

I was invited by a friend to go pick figs at another friend’s house, and so I did. figsOne box of figs and a massive number of mosquito bites later, I brought home enough to make more of the Drunken Fig Jam, which has been quite a hit. This time, I am going to do the canning the proper way with a water bath so the jam can be used for presents. The great Weck jars really make it look special.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I’ve been asked to give a lecture this fall at Ladew Gardens, one of the best gardens in America! The lecture will be titled “A Quest for Inspiring Design” and I will talk about design as it relates to my motto: The difference between an ordinary life and an extraordinary life is finding extraordinary things in an ordinary life. You can read about the lecture series and make reservations here.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I was poking around a local thrift shop this weekend, and I found the most beautiful little silver teapot. flowersI checked the marks on the underside and it was made in England in the early 1900’s. It’s got the most incredible detail on it, and a beautiful black ebony handle and finial. This is the third similar teapot I’ve found in a thrift shop.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Just a little pumpkin update here: pumpkinI am so excited to see that the pumpkins are starting to turn orange. This one hasn’t grown a lot, but I have found a few new ones. A lot of the leaves have a mildew on them, which I am treating, but they’re dying off anyway.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Hope you have a great Labor Day, or Monday, wherever you are!

20 comments:

  1. My wife made fig jam last year, but we never heard of drunken fig jam. We'll have to look that up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look back a few days, there's a recipe here.

      Delete
  2. Sweet little tea-pot - well done for finding it1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty excited, especially since it was at a very good price!

      Delete
  3. There was a nice article on fig trees in Brooklyn last week in the NY Times here: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/29/dining/in-brooklyn-an-abundance-of-fig-trees.html?_r=1&ref=dining#

    One thing I love about Baltimore in the number of big leaf fig (ficus) shade trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that article! There are a lot of smaller fig trees in Baltimore... in some of the older neighbourhoods like Bolton Hill, Federal Hill and Little Italy.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful post. Love the pumpkin, the fig jam and the precious teapot. Perfect for flowers. Can you help me please? I am trying to find a source for reweaving moth holes in a vintage
    sweater and haven't had much luck. My
    email is elsjgeo@aol.com. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check around for a source. You might ask your dry-cleaner if they know if a place. Where are you located?

      Delete
  5. I am jealous of your figs and in awe of your pumpkin. Oh and in sympathy for your mosquito bites.

    I'm pretty sure I must have west nile by now. With this many bites one is sure to carry the virus:-)

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. West Nile is no joke! A friend really had big problems with it last summer, and once you get it, there's nothing you can do, you have to let it run its course.

      xo

      Delete
  6. Looks like you have had a good weekend Meg! I wish I knew what you meant about the jam and water bath thing, all sounds scientific to me!

    I thought about you this weekend whilst in London. Did you ever go to the Wallace Collection whilst there? You would love it I know.

    Have a great Monday off!
    Di
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! The water bath is basically to sterilize the jars in a bath of boiling water, both before you put the jam in them, and then again after, so they are really sealed. I am not explaining it well, but it's for long-term canning.

      I haven't been to the Wallace Collection, but have seen some books about it.

      xo

      Delete
  7. Fall is my favorite time of year! And it sounds like you've enjoyed the perfect start to the season.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, you have mentioned some of my favorite things + figs + teapots + pumpkins + Ladew. Busy lady! Yeah.
    xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of these pictures are beautiful, but I am especially taken with the iridescent bloom on the ripe figs, and also the green veining remaining on the ripening pumpkin.
    --Road to Parnassus

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pumpkins are beautiful.

    You may well know this already, but just in case - An ecologically safe way to battle mildew on plants is to spray with a baking soda/water solution. You do have to keep after it, though.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for offering to check on sources for moth repair. I have checked with knitting shops and cleaners here in Wmsb.Va. to no avail.
    Since you have so many contacts with different shops and sources thought I would try. Even if it is in England, Scotland, or Wales would work. Thanks Loads. This is a vintage Lauren sweater with a polo scene front and back. (elsjgeo@aol.com)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am obsessed with figs - the actual fruit, jam, scent (the Diptyque fig is a favorite). Your teapot is lovely and I just can't believe it's almost pumpkin season - did we actually have summer?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been wondering what the jam would taste like if you substituted fresh ginger for the lemon?
    xoxo Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I'm coming to see you at Ladew! Over the weekend, I was looking at my mother-in-law's brochure for the series and she had your talk circled. She and I are planning to come up together!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.