September 25, 2012

For Sale: My Favourite House…

(Only from the outside though!)

A few years ago, I wrote about a road of houses, all of which I adore. It’s just a few blocks from my current house, and also from the house where I grew up and also where decorator, Billy Baldwin was raised.imageThis house is on the market for the first time in 50 years! One of the most beautiful things about it is its front door – with a Wedgwood blue door and classic urn motif crowning it. I love the barrel vaulted porch with the gorgeous columns and the wood detail above the second-floor windows. imageAll of the houses in this area are loaded with detail. The floor looks to be some sort of parquet and the stairwell is blocked from view by a wooden screen with inset panels, bannisters and windows.

imageAs you might imagine, after being in the same hands for 50 years, some of the features and certainly some of the décor, is very dated. Nearly every inch of this kitchen is covered in a twee sprigged wallpaper and they’ve blocked the original fireplace. I am hoping that the table and chairs are there for show, because there’s barely room for two cups of coffee!imageThere’s perhaps a bit too much of the Williamsburg influence in the house for me, with the plain eight-over-eight windows and simple furnishings. imageI think that some curtains would really soften the look of these rooms. imageIt does look like the hardware for the rods is still in place. imageWhile the dining room has lace curtains, there’s just too much whiteness in this room. Perhaps this was on the real estate agent’s advice?imageAlthough there is great detail, you really don’t see it.

The house has six bedrooms and two full and two half baths. I’d love to see if the original baths are still intact. Some of the old baths have great features. I am trying to figure out where this bedroom is located… It almost seems pointless in having a nice long window seat when you can’t see out the windows.imageIt looks like there’s a sun porch or two, with Mexican quarry-tile floors.  It also looks like there’s a bead-board ceiling, but the lights have to go! I do love the door, but it seems sort of commercial with the light and it’s wiring running across the ceiling. image

Many of the houses in this neighbourhood are classic shingle-style cottages, originally built before this area was within the city limits. It was country living! There was no air-conditioning then, so these houses have lots of windows for air flow. And this one’s sited at the top of a long hill.imageThe house is on the market for $785,000.  For more images of the house, click here. 

15 comments:

  1. Meg, I'll take it! Can you find me a job in Baltimore?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg, what a charming house...minus some of the decor. The room with the long window seat is the room located right above the front door and curved portico. If you look at the exterior photo you can see those same curtains and in the photo from the inside of that room you can see the gothic arched mullions peeking from behind the curtains.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kat... you're so right! it was the curtains that had me fooled.

      Delete
  3. I wish I had the guts to paint my front door this color. Blue is my absolute favorite color. Would it be possible to find out the exact paint color?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MaryBeth... it's sort of a wedgwood blue, but a little brighter. it's a great colour, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. Following that link leads to some really nice housing stock. I love the old shingle Victorians

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat... that's what this neighbourhood is known for - shingle victorians, and some other rather elegant houses.

      Delete
  5. Hello Meg:
    we have been led to you via some of our favourite bloggers and what a perfect moment to have arrived. How we should love to make this house our own.The house looks so very elegant from the outside and, as you say, the entrance porch with its barrel vaulted canopy looks so pretty and welcoming. Who could not be charmed by this first impression on arrival at the hall door? And, the period detailing everywhere is so interesting. The fact that it has changed little in the last fifty years is a positive bonus in our eyes and we are certain that this has the makings of a very fine and comfortable house.

    We have signed ourselves as followers to keep in touch and hope that we may entice you to our blog in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane and Lance... I DO read your blog, as we have so many mutual blog friends!

      I had to go back and take pix of the front door again this morning so I could see more detail. When I was there, I noticed an open house sign, so may try and go then.

      Thanks for following!

      Delete
  6. Adore old homes + one owner the last 50 years, Yes! xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like a slacker... we only owned ours for 30, although my grandmother lived in hers for about 50 years.

      Delete
  7. Okay, don't laugh, but....I wouldn't change a thing in that house. Well, the Williamsburg blue probably. Other than that I love it. I'm guessing the room you said was too much 'whiteness' has always been that way since it's technically a sun room. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This house looks like a dream! I’m sure this house got a lot of prospects from home buyers and realtor. The place is like a little mansion situated in the middle of the forest. The lush green surroundings definitely add some allure and mystery with the property. Every room is splendid. Whoever gets this house will instantly feel like a royalty. No wonder you fell in love with this house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. I truly love these old Roland Park homes. There's just so much to be said about the character of the home. I felt the same way about the "Williamsburg" influence in the kitchen. Keeping it simple always turns out better. We recently finished up a historic home over in Dickysville and found that you can use shaker style cabinets to blend historic charm with modern style. You can check out the property here: https://www.aehomegroup.com/property/5122-wetheredsville-road-baltimore-md-21207/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.