September 13, 2011

Whose Sari Now?

At DeBois Textiles, they have a big box of clothes marked “Hippie Mix”, which is filled with amazing saris, gorgeous shalwar kameez, old Mexican serapes, and much more. While digging through the box a few months ago, I came across a beautiful shalwar kameez, but it was a little ragged around the edges. I knew I could do something with it, but it was just a matter of figuring it out.sari 003 The dress was silk with a silk lining, which made the pillow cover more stable. There are small beads in the fabric, and I actually broke a needle on my sewing machine when I was putting it together. sari 004 There is so much hand-stitching on this pillow and it’s just amazing. The pattern is so bright, with mostly primary colours, which is unusual. sari 005I was able to use some of the seaming from the garment on the pillow, which really was helpful. sari 006 I bought a ton of old silks at an auction a few summers ago, auction_005[2] and now I am really excited to figure out what I can do with these fabrics.

I am not sari!

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I had a big piece of silk sari fabric given to me by a friend years ago. I ended up using it for curtains for a small window. Those silk pieces would make a beautiful quilt or duvet cover, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pillow. I use lovely bits of fabric (not silk though)to make fabric coasters. I use a piece of interlining between two 4 1/2 inch pieces of fabric. Start it like a pillow and on the final seam topstich the open edge and the entire perimeter. I've made sets and tied them with a coordinating ribbon for hostess gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a woman after my own heart! Great ideas.
    Di :-)
    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked its colors and designs. so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for posting about DeBois Textiles. I am in the area and I finally made a trip to see what sort of fabrics they had, and I was not disappointed.
    I did not find anything to slipcover my sofa, but I did bring home (*ahem*) 45 yards of sheer drapery fabric. I have learned that a nice sheer is hard to find and I will eventually use it all one way or the other.

    Saw lots of other well known designers, too.
    (Love your blog!!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.