May 20, 2014

The Chandelier in the Tree

In my wee backyard, I have a wrought iron chandelier which has been hanging from a branch in a tree for about two years. image

I can’t remember where I first saw this, but I knew that when I got a house with trees and a yard, it would be one of the things I’d do! I was scrolling through that major time-suck, Pinterest, and found some great images of chandeliers in trees. Here are some of the best ones.

image

Most of the images seem to be part of wedding themes, but I like mine just for the fun of it. image

Some, like this image, are way over-the-top, and I almost think that there’s too much happening here. image

This one’s fun because the chandeliers are all different. They look like they were found at yard sales or thrift shops. I wonder how they’re lit.image

This is pretty amazing. I am sure it doesn’t live outside like mine does!image

Chains are probably a much better idea than a two-year old hemp rope, right?image

This takes it a little further and adds strands of crystals with a drop. image

And here’s my little chandelier, just after dusk, all lit up!image

This makes me happy, but I think my yard guy hates it!

9 comments:

  1. Hello Meg, Your outdoor chandelier reminded me of a recent public sculpture in Cleveland, a giant chandelier hung in Playhouse Square, Cleveland's theater district. I haven't seen it in person yet, but friends report it is fun and unusual. Here is a link:
    http://media.cleveland.com/ent_impact_arts/photo/barnycz-chandelier-playhousesquarejpg-ed1309fb6057d71f.jpg

    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg I love the way your chandelier gleams at night, perfection!

    Xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Basket chandeliers, in England go around the standard cord and socket ceiling fixture. Looking out for one for my front hall. Ideal when you want the look but do not have high ceilings. Loved your post. Brought back memories of a trip to Montreal and a yard sale where a chandelier was displayed for sale like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Several years ago, when I kept chickens, I had a small chandelier in the coop. I've always liked chandeliers in trees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meg,
    Candles or electric? I have one that I hang over the craft table that I can take outside. I just leave an AC cord in the place I hang it. I'm kind of afraid of candles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candles. But I am pretty sure I am not going to burn down my tree!

      Delete
  6. I have seen many ideas such as this, chandelier hanging in the tree. And you reminded me of using my old chandelier in the basement to hang it in my garden. Clever idea, and I look this as a start to decorate my garden.

    Sebastian Chuter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurricane season starts in two weeks. One must be ever vigilant. If one lives on the Eastern Seaboard one needs to be prepared. Having said this, an outside light should be brought inside out of harms way. A neighbor may have objects that could go airborne thus placing your cherished decoration at risk. Be prepared with flashlight , bottled water, batteries, candles matches, canned food and if one has a camp stove and fuel you could benefit greatly if the electricity is off. Stock up on coffee too, drought and leaf rust is wrecking havoc on the yields. Raw bean prices are up 60%.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.