May 2, 2014

Ladew Garden Festival Preview Party

I was lucky enough to be invited to the Preview Party for the Ladew Garden Festival. The actual Festival, modeled on the Trade Secrets Show in Connecticut, is Saturday, May 3 and I urge you to go!

One of the fabulous things about the Festival is that there are plantsmen from around the east coast who have flowers and plants that you don’t see anywhere else. Like this one.

Honestly, I was a little scared of this plant, which is some sort of maple! It looked like aliens in pods!

Camellias can only grow in the zone up to mid-Maryland, and we’re still waiting for them to bloom here. But this was terrific to see!

There were all sorts of amazing and beautiful plants on offer.

But it’s not just plants – there are garden ornaments from my friends at Pennoyer-Newman,

lots of pretty things from Halcyon House Antiques,

fun pieces from a new shop called Sprezzatura,

and a range of antiques from assorted dealers.

Tickets are $15 per person and are available at the door. There are tours of the house and the extensive gardens! Tell’em I sent you!

8 comments:

  1. Oh this looks to be my kind of show! I wish I lived closer. Lucky girl you are to have attended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come out east for it next year! It's the first weekend in May!

      Delete
  2. Yes, if I lived anywhere close (I live in Illinois) I would go - the tickets are very reasonable. I've paid that for not that great of home tours, garden tours around here! When I go to other areas, I'm always amazed at the pretty gardens, landscaping...from the regular neighborhoods to the very elite areas. Unfortunately, for whatever reason??? my area of Southern IL is very lacking in garden style...it really is. We have a great growing season, it just seems to be a matter of, I hate to say it - taste. Maybe I'm a garden snob - no, I'm really not! But, god grief, all these resin (ugh) pots, plastic pots, strange lawn ornaments - many black silhouettes on the sides of garages - little weird wishing wells in odd orange colored woods....we need some help here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ladew is fabulous. If you Google it on my blog, you will see lots of pix of inside and out.

      Delete
  3. Great stuff! I love that first plant (is it really a maple?) with the bright yellow and red blooms! Ugh, I'm in such need of a really good garden statue - but on Long Island, it seems the only thing available are the stupid tacky ones that everyone and their brother already have. I want something really unique... but since shipping cement is ridiculously expensive, I'm limited to what I can find locally. Which, so far, is nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a mallow. Abutilon /əˈbjuːtɨlɒn/ is a large genus of flowering plants in the mallow family, Malvaceae. It is distributed throughout the tropics and subtropics of the Americas, Africa, Asia, and Australia. General common names include Indian mallow and velvetleaf. The genus name is an 18th-century New Latin word that came from the Arabic.

      Delete
  4. I am obsessed with all things Harvey Ladew. Whenever I'm in town visiting family i make sure to take a tour of the home and gardens. i can only imagine how beautiful it must have been in all that snow you had this past winter! Im sorry i missed this. looks like it was fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That particular one appears to be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abutilon_pictum

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.