May 1, 2014

Read This Book

There’s a blog I’ve followed for several years now, Mon Avis, Mes Amis that it a brilliant combination of real life stories, a bit of fiction and a slice of life in a particular piece of England.

image

The writer, E.L. Smith took off for a year or so, and she was deeply missed by her readers and admirers. Now, it turns out that when she wasn’t writing the blog, she was crafting the most delicious book of short stories, spanning a century. ten told talesEach one with a twist in the tale, or a little lesson learned. Ten Tales Told: A Century of Peculiarly British Short Stories is a quick read. Either take one story at a time and savour it, or gobble down all ten stories at one sitting like I did. Either way, you’ll not regret a minute spent reading this book. And in all likelihood, you will go back and re-read it and find more than you did on first reading.

The book is described thusly:

An eclectic, eccentric collection of ten stories, each set in a different decade, spanning the last century. Rich in colour and character, the stories examine betrayal of and by women in all its subtle forms.

The book can be ordered on Amazon for Kindle and it’s just a great read.

One of the best things was reading the acknowledgments and seeing the names of some of my favourite fellow bloggers, like ADG, Columnist and Toad, and some favourite commenters like Linda Pakravan and the Hattats.

Well done, ELS!

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for the hot tip Meg. Sounds compelling....!

    xo Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful and generous review - I am thrilled beyond words that you enjoyed them; thank you for this and for the amazing review on Amazon. I'm so touched; I had a lot of fun writing them and your lovely words have given me a much-needed kick up the bum to crack on with what my children call 'a real book'!

    Thanks. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will read this. I had forgotten about this blog. When my hard drive died a year or so ago, I had to rebuild my "bookmarks" for my popular sites and I forgot about this one. I think she is drop dead hilarious. If an English person can be. Wants to be! What a "novel" approach to a book of short stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was off the radar for a while, but she's back, funny and poignant as ever!

      Delete
  4. Meg the best book of short stories I have ever read, truly!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh thanks for the reminder! I meant to download this and forgot. Off to remedy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, love ELS's blog. Terrific writing. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CD, you will get a lot of the references that others may miss.

      Delete
  7. I love short stories. They fit my attention span.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Download the book. I did and loved every one of them.

      Delete
  8. Oh yeah, this book is right down my alley - thanks for letting us know about it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.