March 12, 2009

Poe Stamps

I was at the post office the other day mailing the Domino magazines I had sold and noticed that among the new stamps was one of Edgar Allan Poe, who died here in Baltimore. Generally, I am not too wild about the US Post Office's stamps on offer, but these were very attractive.
The portrait is by Michael J. Deas who published published The Portraits and Daguerreotypes of Edgar Allan Poe, a comprehensive collection of images featuring authentic likenesses as well as derivative portraits of Poe. Michael was recently asked to authenticate a Poe daguerreotype by the Antiques Roadshow.
This is the 200th anniversary of Poe's birth, so it is fitting that he's immortalized on a stamp. I have to use them quickly before the price goes up again in May. As I was looking for illustrations of the new stamp, I found this charming necklace on Etsy.

5 comments:

  1. I picked these up last week. Love them. And I adore that necklace!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought stamps about 10 days ago and didn't see the Poe stamps, or that's what I would have chosen. I love stamps. Small works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathleen, that's too bad. They're $.42 stamps, so are only good for another two months. They launched them in Richmond in January.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wait -postage is going up again? UGH _i have about a life time supply of bette davis AND frank sinatra stamps! They've really been coming out with some great ones - i'm such a nerd...lol -but it's so much fun to use beautiful stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have to say, i do love these poe stamps!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.