March 22, 2009

Footprints in the Sand

If you've come looking for pictures of the Redneck Taj Mahal, please scroll to the bottom. For a more recent view of the house, with interior images, please click here


Today was a gorgeous early spring day, so I took off down to Scotland, Maryland, where a friend, Miss MA, is in the late stages of building a beach house. The house formerly on the property was hit pretty hard by Hurricane Ernesto, so she's rebuilding on the original footprint, which is only about 25' by 25'.

We took some time and walked up and down the beach which sits about 40' in front of the cottage and looks out over the widest part of the Chesapeake Bay, just above Point Look Out and just below Point Look In.

These are the buoys that local crabbers use to mark where their crab pots are located. Each crabber has different colours, shapes or numbers.
As we walked along, picking up pieces of beachglass, we noticed lots of footprints in the sand and speculated as to which animal would have made them. That's my shoe at the bottom of the picture, so you can see how large these prints are in comparison. They're probably from a Great Blue Heron, which can be up to 55" tall!One set in particular fascinated us - sets of footprints on either side of a straight line, indicating a dragging tail, perhaps? Everything was lovely until we saw this gawd-awful house under construction. Apparently, it took the owner quite a while to find an architect who would build this ghastly place. It looks like a reasonable five-story house, until you realize that the columns have no association at all with the house. They are just an appendage around the edges. In the end though, we were greatly cheered by this picture-postcard perfect view of the Patuxent River, with the Chesapeake Bay beyond. Thanks for a {mostly} great day, Miss MA!!!

15 comments:

  1. what a perfect day!! It was a lovely weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely! enjoy before this freak snow hits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the mysterious trail left in the sand.

    makes one wonder . . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you had a lovely day at the beach! I used to live in Bel Air, MD. It's a beautiful state and I get back at least once a year to visit family. Living in California now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! (Except for that house, that is!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooooh meg, please send me an unblog-shrunk photo of that odd peristyle home (if you've got one). i LOVE an achitechtural freakshow!

    lovely beach photos btw- makes me long for the eastern seaboard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could not have picked a nicer day to go to the beach. Yesterday was beautiful.

    And what great views of the bay that house has.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me, too. I clicked on the image of the house with the columns to take a better look. Really, I need a closer look at that.

    It does look like you had wonderful weather. I love this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to get a closer look at the columned house, too. I just assumed it was an 1840's Greek Revival from the outline. Looks a little like the Andalusia estate in PA.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andalusia_(estate)

    ReplyDelete
  10. CH... I looked at Andalusia and it's a lovely house. But I am not sure these people were going for that look, judging from the way the roof-line is set. They just don't have the angle to make the roof meet the edges of the columns.

    Can you send me an e-mail, please???

    ReplyDelete
  11. could that be a snake's trails? it looks so beautiful there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looooove the photos from the beach. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. * The beach always hits a chord w/ most of us, but then again, so did that, well, um... yes, just UGLY, ill-conceived "house"! I try to always be "positive", but here? Well, I'm "POSITIVE" that it DOES remind me of what DH & I dislike MOST in ANY "home", & that's one built to be a ("SUPPOSED"!!!) "MONUMENT" to one's "personal success", exposed for all the world to see & supposedly "AWE" over~~~ one void of any personality & always "sad"... and in this case, it depressed me, & made me feel soooo sorry, a-n-d sooo sad, for the owners, if there ARE any... Thanks for the UPLIFTING BEACH PICS~~~ truly appreciated seeing THOSE!!! Warmly, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. The beach photos are wonderful, yes you wonder about all of those creatures. The House, OMG, what can I say!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a perfect day. I really love these photos. And that one foot print--impressive!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.