March 16, 2009

Grand Designs Ireland

There is a TV show on BBC4 in the UK called Grand Designs and I was hopelessly addicted to it, and wildly in love with the presenter, Kevin McCloud. He always starts out sort of gloomy and doomy and then in the end loves the finished project, which was completed against all odds.
One of my favourite episodes was about a couple who stumbled across an abandoned church in Co. Mayo and restored it to make it their weekend home. The husband is an architect, so did much of the planning and design work himself. He made the 8-hour round trip between Dublin and Mayo each weekend and came up with the solution to fixing the property - building an inner structure that is self-supporting.
Here's the website for the property, where you can actually stay, and It's what Irish-Americans think of owning back in the old country. Here's a clip of a promo for the show and it's got my amazing crystal ball!!!! Sláinte'!

10 comments:

  1. I was a big fan of this programme too. Was always amazed at how adventurous people were with the projects thet took on. And quite often they ran into problems, which were easy to identify with!

    Thanks for your very nice comment. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, can't decide if I liked it better as a ruin ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post, PD! Just in time for St. Patrick's Day too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My fantasy - converting an old church into a house! Love the concept, and the host is pretty cute too.

    –Lana

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dream is to convert a church to a home. There is one on Block Island that I love. Thanks for sharing and for your kind words - today.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  6. perfect st. patricks post- a cool design and a handsome irishman!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fabulous, the project turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw that to. Was really impressed how they build a skeleton of wood inside the church so that one day the building could be used again as a real church.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.