March 18, 2009

I Guess The UK Didn't Hear

At the end of 2008, a number of design/lifestyle/decor blogs declared that the ubiquitous poster stating "Keep Calm & Carry On" was soooo over. But I guess that the UK didn't get that message, as the poster and its message are more popular than ever. The story behind this poster resonates with me because my father and his family were living in England during the Blitz and the years leading up to and during WWII.
The poster and its history have been the subject of several articles in the "quality" UK newspapers and today there was a story and some great photos in the Guardian, and an interview with one of the Guardian's editors here. It's a message that should resonate with most all of us. Panicking and freaking out about the economic climate isn't going to help anyone or anything. Calm and reasoned thinking will get us through this. The economic situation will turn around when it does and not a moment sooner.
Please, keep calm and carry on.

10 comments:

  1. over - my a$$. I just picked mine up from the framer and hung it over my desk at home.

    maybe I'm just operating on English time. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen sister. The same empty heads who declared this one over are the same empty heads who can't grasp the message this poster's attempting to convey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the Brits and their understated way of addressing serious issues. Stiff upper lip and all that - seems to work though, xv.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just rec'd this poster from a dear friend after I sent her a long letter...i just love it and it is in the vibrant tomato red!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that poster (in green) up at our cabin. I love it. And, the message is good to keep in mind anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came across this poster for the first time in nyc and snapped it in my blog post under vintage. loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. over? please, could it be more appropriate for our current times?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi- First, wanted to say thanks for stopping by my blog, thereby introducing my to yours, which is great! (Truly appreciate the mix of design, wit, and topical incites!)
    I think "keep calm and carry on" ties into your party comment below. Those of us that have been responsible (and lucky) enough to have a reasonable budget at the moment really can help by keeping calm and continuing to inject money into the economy one way or another instead of panicking and stuffing it under our mattresses! Life does, and ought to, carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sig and I were catching up on some American news this week, and we were both really struck by the hyper/over-the-top quality of the news reporting. Also, there are so many pundits who are basically nothing but shit-stirrers -- making absolutely no attempt to present news in any sort of factual way!

    This simple message serves us all.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.