March 11, 2009

Floorcloths

Maison21 commented on the piece about Homewood House and asked about the rugs in photographs four and five. He was wondering if they were authentic to the house. The short answer is yes. What he's asking about is the canvas floorcloths, which were used in houses in the US and Britain in the early 1800's onward.
Since it was easier to make one of these cloths from the ample sailcloth and canvas that was available, especially in a port city like Baltimore, people used them instead of needlepoint or woven wool or cotton rugs. These floorcoverings were known as oylcloths in the UK and floorcloths in the US.
It's actually pretty simple to make a floor cloth. All you need is heavy canvas, paint, and a varnish. The diamond pattern floor cloths in Homewood would have been faux painted like the marble pattern on the front entrance to the house. They were essentially a forerunner of linoleum floors. When the pattern started wearing out, they could be repainted with the same pattern or a new one.
Floorcloths have enjoyed a renaissance in the past decade or two and there are some incredible artists, including Sophie Sarin, whose work I found while researching this story.
Remember, all that's old is new again.

18 comments:

  1. you put together the answer to my question that fast? with pictures AND research? you amaze me- it would have taken me the better part of an afternoon or evening.

    feeling slow here...

    oxoxo-

    c.

    ReplyDelete
  2. M21... I already knew the history of the cloths, so it was just finding some pix I liked, and viola!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always wanted to try my hand at one of these, instead I think I've talked LH into letting me paint the wood floor in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On my first job I managed to convince my client to commission two of these for the living room - one was a trompe l'oeil reflecting pool and the other was a marbled cube affair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've just solved a design problem for me. I've seen floor cloths but only small ones. I love the idea of really big ones, and they will be so easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Regarding the anonymous comments in the previous post, that person does have a legit point. You put your life on the internet, prepare for the nice and not so nice.

    Also, the William Paca House and Garden in Annapolis has a couple of nice floorcloths on display.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are we really still talking about yesterday? Move on people, move on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christina... I used to live right by the Paca House and that's where I first learned about floorcloths. They're still very useful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Pompeian inspired tile work in the last picture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This are beautiful! I take it they are relatively easy to keep clean since they are varnished?

    ReplyDelete
  11. JAPRA... you can clean them with a damp sponge mop. A few coats of a clear varnish will really protect the paint.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by my blog today! BTW, I just read all the comments to "Comments on the Comment." What excitement! I don't need to add more, since your other readers covered the situation quite well.

    Back to this posting on floorcloths: Great overview. I'm going to click on your link to Sophie Sarin, as I love to learn about new & unique artists and support their work. This weekend I'm visiting an historic Texas town and may have missed seeing floorcloths if I hadn't read your posting. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This could be next winter's project Meg. Thanks for the inspiration, xv.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Terrific idea and how much better would they feel than linoleum underfoot? I've painted sisal rugs, this can't be too much harder and far more elegant to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are amazing, Meg! I esp. love the second one that resembles an Aubusson rug. Thanks for the sweet comment and have a great wknd!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Superb, I must say!



    Jessica Parker
    Memory Foam Express

    ReplyDelete
  17. Superb post, i must say that,



    Jessica Parker
    Memory Foam Express

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.