November 4, 2012

Weekend Update: Part 90

For me, much of the weekend was taken up stewing and fretting about two things: The nightmare that is New Jersey and New York, and the upcoming elections.

All I can do about the elections is vote, and then wait and watch for the outcome.image

All I can do about Superstorm Sandy is help in small ways. Friends were collecting dog and cat food for an animal shelter on Staten Island, so when I was at Trader Joe’s picking up kibble for Connor, I picked up an additional 20 lb. bag for other shelter dogs. Connor’s not forgotten that he came from the city pound, and knows he’s lucky to have found a home. For those other dogs, maybe their luck will change. I also gathered some winter coats and blankets for another effort for those who’ve lost their homes and all of their possessions. What are you doing to help?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

On Saturday evening, I was kindly invited to the Art Show and Sale to benefit Cylburn, and was so pleased that I went. I saw lots of old friends and some new ones, like Tolly Lewin, who had two paintings in the show!

By the time Tolly walked me over to show me her pictures, one of them had already sold!

Because all of the artists used the 207-acre park as their inspiration, many of the pieces were of similar subjects, mainly the beautiful historic house that’s the centerpiece of the park.

Each painter who used the house as the subject had a slightly different take on it.

Here, the house is part of the background and it takes a minute to notice that it’s there.

Much more of an impression of the house and you don’t see the detail.

In this multi-media piece, the flowers have the same importance as the house.

This multi-media piece used a historic photograph as the centerpiece.

This is a favourite view with the two lions.

The same view, but from another angle.

There’s another party for the Art Show and Sale on Wednesday. Tickets are here.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I always go into a funk the first few days of daylight savings time. I hate to “fall back”. It’s that slippery slope down hill to winter.

I must be in nesting mode for the winter, since I’ve been cooking up a storm. Yesterday, it was chicken broth from the roasted chicken I ate during the storm, and today, it was a roasted butternut squash soup from an Ina Garten recipe.soupOne of the best kitchen tools I have is my immersion blender, which makes whipping up a soup like this a snap. Seriously, this thing will change your life!

How was your weekend?

5 comments:

  1. Is there a Staten Island Humane Society or Rescue site to send donations to?
    I would like to send help, from the Mid-West.

    Please let me and the others out here know how we can help our four legged friends in the East.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the election, I have turned off the news until Wednesday morning. All the coverage seems pointless, especially if it adds to anxiety. For Sandy, I have made a donation and posted your Foot's Forecast links (thanks!). The paintings above are great, especially that last one. Enjoy your soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meg, You are such an inspiration. I voted a couple of weeks ago and as of Saturday stopped donating the my candidates....Now, tomorrow--we just need to focus on the good.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have voted and am sending prayers & help for Sandy victims. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ina's butternut soup is my very favourite!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.