November 8, 2012

My Mama Told Me, You’d Better Shop Around

Seriously, she did! She told me that she’s going to the Strathmore Music Hall’s annual Shop Around with one of my sisters. If you’re in the general DC/MD/VA region, this is a great idea. Nearly 20 museums and historic houses from the area will be gathering to sell the unique items from their gift shops. Instead of going from place to place, all of these shops will be under one (architectural) roof in Bethesda, Maryland.image

The shops that are participating include:

American University Museum-Katzen Museum Store
Audubon Sanctuary Shop
Herb Cottage at Washington National Cathedral
Hillwood Museum Shop
Just Imagine! The Shop at Imagination Stage
John F. Kennedy Center Gift Shop
Montgomery County Historical Society
National Geographic Store
National Museum of Women in the Arts
Phillips Collection
Pop Corn Gallery at Glen Echo Park
President Lincoln’s Cottage
Shakespeare Theatre Company Shop
Supreme Court Historical Society
Textile Museum
The Shop at Strathmore
U.S. Capitol Historical Society
U.S. Senate Gift Shop

Knowing some of these organizations, I’ll bet that there are going to be some great one-of-a-kind gifts there. Can you imagine what great things the Textile Museum has, or the Supreme Court Historical Society (the cookbook Chef Supreme honoring the husband of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg)?

As we move closer to the holidays I am going to, once again, be doing some unusual gift guides. To me, there’s nothing worse than being an unimaginative gift giver… unless it’s being the recipient of such a gift.

As I said, my mama told me, you better shop around! (ha, not really!)

10 comments:

  1. I love museum shops! http://shelleyshouse.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/art-and-shopping.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing the fun things you can find at museum shops!

      Delete
  2. I used to joke that in some museums, the shops were taking up more and more space, until one day there would be all shop and no museum. That is apparently was has taken place now. While I understand the appeal of these shops, and the necessity of holiday shopping, I hope that everyone who goes here has earned the right by attending at least one museum or historic house in the last year (or plans to go soon). (Obviously I am preaching to the choir here; I know that everyone connected with this blog is an inveterate museum-goer.)
    --Road to Parnassus

    ReplyDelete
  3. My all-time favorite purchase from a museum giftshop is a 12" ruler printed with the names of the kings and queens of Great Britain and the dates they ruled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sent this on to friends in DC. Thanks xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh thats a great idea! I love that strathmore hall, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yes!! Nothing like Smokey.
    Thanks.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hedgehog trapped in crips bag rescued. Can you UK friends fill us in on details.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot imagine a more interesting and fun way to do Holiday Shopping!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can collect gifts for your friends and I’m sure you’ll be able to shop for unique and precious collection.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.